Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Durability of Pro Bodies

Here's an interesting article from pro journalist David Honl... (via Rob Galbraith DPI)
http://lexardigital.typepad.com/davidhon...ro_or.html

Quote:On Monday my new 30D backup was crushed beneath me, and became destined for the scrap heap. I was covering a heated political demonstration here in Turkey and things took a painful turn for the worse. After being attacked by a group of volatile PKK supporters, thrown to the ground, kicked, beaten, and introduced to the experience of having a 1D body slammed over my head, I was face-down on the pavement with my 30D. My pro-grade 1Ds survived, even after being used to hit me over the head (ouch). On a CF card note, I was able to rescue my nearly-filled 2gb card from the ground before running for the hills (it popped out of the camera on impact).
Perhaps they should introduce this testing regimen for camera manufacturers - bodies should be able to survive being used as a club over people's heads. Big Grin

I guess if you're in that line of business, then the pro bodies are well worth the investment.

"Stress testing", similar to that done on the iPod Nono by ARS Technica?

(Personally, I think he got it wrong -- give the protesters the weaker 30D to hit him with, and fall on the stronger 1D.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Hehe good one matthew. Big Grin

matthew Wrote:(Personally, I think he got it wrong -- give the protesters the weaker 30D to hit him with, and fall on the stronger 1D.)
I think he would probably have a broken hip if that happened... Big Grin

I managed to soak my 5D under a waterfall and slipped over on a glacier with the camera breaking a fair bit of my fall with it still surviving to tell the tale - a few scratches just above the Canon logo is all.

I was pleasently surprised considering it is not a 1 series camera. Glad it wasn't my head testing the strength of the camera.

Canon stuff.

That Pro Body surely would have crumpled against my skull!

Still, I'm glad my head is hard.
It's obsolete and most repair parts are no longer available.

I read somewhere that they do all sorts of things in their testing, including swinging it around by the strap and hitting it on a metal pole... let me find it!

oh, here, for the 300D:

"Oshima: That's right. On top of the normal drop tests, we do things like hold the strap and twirl the camera around, and bash it against a metal pipe."

from: http://www.canon.com/technology/intervie...ss_p1.html

I wish I'd known that for the Moving Camera challenge.... Big Grin

(or maybe not.)

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Haha, what a great read adam...

Quote:Oshima: There are various levels of impact in these tests. Some cause no damage, some cause damage that does not affect performance, and some cause damage that does affect performance, however, no injury is caused to people as a result of sharp fragments flying into the air. The original material we had lined up did not pass these tests.

--- But you said that the metal mold had been made and the production people were waiting...

Oshima: We were in a great hurry. We put in a request to a materials manufacturer, who supplied us with another material. This one was strong. It not only performed as an electromagnetic shield, but it also passed all of the strength tests. It was so strong that the body remained unscathed, even when the lenses broke. As a result, the Digital SLR Camera EOS DIGITAL Rebel/EOS 300D is an SLR camera with unprecedented strength.
Sounds pretty impressive...

The camera body is the loss leader. Assume you will replace it every 4 years and buy good glass.

ROMG .. thats almost as cool as the compact flash duribility test ..
al lthe cards could be recovered other then the one where it was nailed to a tree

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/3939333.stm

heres the article =P

Thanks for that Peter - I recently put my USB Thumb drive through the washing machine and it still works fine.

Canon stuff.

my T3 isn't a pro body, but i reckon if someone tries to steal it from you, bash them over the head with it, then take their picture for the police. Even with the 40mm pancake lens, the thing weighs a ton!

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post