Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Engraving / security measures?

One thing my dad is dilligent about doing with almost every asset of his is engraving - he puts his name on everything. So I suppose if anything get stolen, it'll make it hard to sell again.

Then again, I suppose it makes it hard to sell on ebay too, if he ever wants to upgrade. Smile

Anyone engrave their stuff too? Take any other security measures (UV ink maybe)? Or just leave it up the insurance company?

Nothing, Nada, Zip....... I don't even have a list of my serial numbers... kinda stupid really.

Me neither. The only thing I've got engraved is all my tools.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

When burglars steal something they don't give a hoot whether it is engraved with your name or not because they sell it for a dime on a dollar. The buyers don't care either.

Insurance is the only real answer.

what kind of insurane do you guys use? i want to protect my $4000 investment.

I have full replacement value insurance on all my camera gear - each major item seperately listed on the policy.

Datadot has been quite successful, I will have to research some insurance too.

I just have standard home contents insurance, which only covers theft/damage etc. within the home. I think I can extend it to cover outside the home too, but that increases premiums dramatically.

I'm wondering whether it's worthwhile taking out a policy just to cover the camera equipment?

I read somewhere that we can get camera equipment insurance here in Australia, $100 - $200 /pa (diff insurance companies) for $4K - $5K of equipment if I remember rightly, every bit of equipment has to be listed and photographic evidence (min) or purchase receipt kept.

I have to find out if my travel insurance covers my gear .... going to Malaysia in 3 weeks, hope to get some interesting photos, get fattened up and come home with cheap gear of every discription. ( Hopefully I remember to bring the wife home) Big Grin

I was going to go to Singapore after this sem, one of the main reasons being... to pick up some equipment...
but my parents told me last night not to go.. since I'm going at the end of the year anyway. But I won't want to wait! I want it now now now! (and of course not prepared to pay the 'now now now' price ie: buy locally)

Which parts of Malaysia are you going to Wayney? Wink

All over ... start in Kuala Lumpur, then Lankawi up to Penang *shrug* free and easy holiday. Just can't go to Singapore lest I get arrested ... Can't wait for my holiday Big Grin

Free holiday? hehe, sounds good!!
Can't wait till mine... in december!! So excited!

Why would they arrest you in Singapore? ooo! did you flee from Singapore and they want to catch you now?

no the holiday costs me money.. I just don't have a hard and fast itenerary. Singapore .... long story .. suffice it to say, I hate that country with a passion.

It's good to have free itinerary, I always find that it prevent rushes, you get time to see more, do more, relax!
and take photographs!!!!!!!!

I agree I just want to relax and have fun Smile I want to see a different side to life not just the antiseptic tourist view. I just wish I had a DSLR or SLR when I backpacked through Zambia and Zimbabwe. I have to look for some of those pics and scan them.

Engraving is a waste of time in most cases. Toad got it right. Criminals dont care. Engraving, like locks only stop honest people.

It's easy enough to buy a new top, front. side , back cover for your camera to replace the engraved section.

I'd suggest insurance too.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post