Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Cameras at the beach

What are your thoughts about using cameras at the beach?

I've often used my compact camera at the beach, of course keeping it well away from the water and sand and also being conscious of not using it when it's windy and blowing sand about. I've never had any problems.

However now that I have a DSLR which is worth quite a bit more, I wonder if I should be a bit more careful. I've seen covers you can use but they look quite large and no doubt would make you look an oddity on the beach!

I'm heading to the beach next weekend so would appreciate your comments!

thanks

You should carry a camera bag with a DSLR and not worry too much about how it looks.

I've taken mine to the beach a few times, and while I'm careful with it, really haven't done anything different lol. I'll keep it in my bag when not using… and not change lenses Wink

Angela

Thanks for your responses Toad & Angela, I should have added that I always carry a bag and keep it in there when not taking a photo... but I take a lot of photos!! Smile

When I mentioned a 'cover' I was referring to the rain cover type of thing. I wonder if anyone has actually used one?

Not changing lenses is a good point.

Just neglect the camera. Sand, rain, whatever, and when it grinds then replace it. You are going to replace it anyway with the next best thing since sliced bread. Angel

I'm joking of course. If you want to take shots on the beach, then get a throwaway waterproof film one. Cool (Holiday sunglasses)

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

If I know I'll be swimming and getting all sandy, I won't bring my DSLR. If I'm just going to walk on the beach or sit somewhere then I've got no qualms about using my camera.

I'd just be wary of getting sandy hands onto it, especially the zooming mechanism of your lens...

I think the wind etc. shouldn't be a problem unless it's raining...

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Feb 8, 2017, 15:35