Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Ever damage a lens?

I've been reading some "to filter or not to filter" discussions recently, and I've been struck by something: it seems like a lot of people have, or know someone who has, damaged a filter. Coatings get scratched in cleaning, lens hoods break and shatter the filter, you name it -- but I haven't read a single comment that "I didn't use a filter and I destroyed my lens".

A number of ultrawide and fisheye lenses -- expensive glass -- can't even take filters at all. Would manufacturers do this if the front elements weren't able to take some abuse?

Have you ever scratched a filter?
Have you ever had some sort of traumatic damage (dropping, collision) damage a filter?

Have you ever damaged the front element on an unfiltered lens? Do you know anyone who has?

Is there really a need to protect our lenses with another piece of glass?

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I use high quality filters B+W cost a little but there is no sense putting cheap glass infront of good.

Main reason is for protection, many of my lenses cost over 1000USD so a filter for 50-100 usd is a cheap protection and doesnt really degrade the IQ.

Never dropped a lens or a camera. But i rather be safe then sorry. Big Grin

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

No, I have never damaged a lens or a filter--or met anyone who has.

I have never damadged a lens, but my macro lens have some stains already, and they are there because I don't know how to clean it. My macro is the one that goes closer to the grass and flowers and so on... I think those spots are from water. Still it works perfect and they don't make any problem in my pictures.

However, I would be interested to know how to clean it.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Paul.R.Lindqvist Wrote:I use high quality filters B+W cost a little but there is no sense putting cheap glass infront of good.
The one filter that I have is a B+W MRC; I bought it because it's supposed to be easier to clear rain from it. I'm not sure about that, but after two years, it's unscratched and still in use. I have it on a lens that lacks a dress ring; the front element goes all the way to the filter threads and the lens cap sits right on the glass. But, if I bought four of those filters to cover the lenses that I use the most, the cost is equal to the replacement cost of the two cheaper ones. That's not including my 7-14, which is a $2000 lens with a protruding front element. They're not that rare over on the Olympus fora, but yet I've never heard of one being damaged. Given the nature of the internet, I would expect even one report to ricochet across the world until it sounds like a landslide.

Irma, if I have water spots one one of my lenses, all I do is breathe on it to cause some condensation, and then wipe it clean with a soft cloth that I use for cleaning my glasses. Usually works with only one or two tries. If that doesn't do the trick, alcohol (the non-drinking kind) should do it.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I have a small (1mm long) mark on my Tamron. It may have been there when I bought it, as it is not the thing you inspect regularly. It is about 5mm from the edge and does not appear to harm the photos. It is something I can feel with a fingernail. I may be able to get a macro of it later.

Cleaning lenses. I have a little kit from jessops consisting of a pack of tissues, a small bottle (10cc approx)of fluid? and some cotton wool sticks.
I just use the tissues and the fluid, if the marks don't come off with just the tissues.
Or how about spectacle cleaner from the opticians.?

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I will give it a try. I feel more confident to clean it now that we talked about this.
Thanks a lot for the advice Matt, NT. ... Smile

Paul Cezanne

As soon as I buy a lens its fitted with a Hoya HMC Super Pro1 and I now make sure the hood is on when I leave the house.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

Addendum for Irma. I would not use cotton wool for cleaning anything scratcheable. Because the wool can hold and catch abrasive particles, which would do the same to your lens as a Brillo pad Sad
The tissues are used once only and then discarded.
The spectacle cloths are 'micro fibre' and can be washed every now and again but......
Imagine a tiny piece of sand in a cloth and then clean your lens with it. Whoooo. I think not.
Unless it is a cheap lens. Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

NT73 Wrote:I have a small (1mm long) mark on my Tamron. It may have been there when I bought it, as it is not the thing you inspect regularly. It is about 5mm from the edge and does not appear to harm the photos. It is something I can feel with a fingernail. I may be able to get a macro of it later.
NT, I'm glad to hear that the scratch doesn't affect the image; I suppose that's an advantage of a telephotos' short depth of field. I've been reading a bit about this lens, and while the optical quality sounds quite good, it's not on the high side of expensive. I'm wondering if perhaps the front element isn't as tough as some of the higher-end glass. Unfortunately manufacturers get very proprietary when it comes to marketing, so it's hard to tell for sure what compromises are being made.

(off-topic: I know watches better than lenses. If you spend more for an expensive watch -- Rolex, Omega, Longines -- one of the very few real benefits is that they're made from harder steel and are more resistant to scratches. The plastic crystal of a Swatch will scratch if you look at it too hard; the 'mineral crystal' of a Tissot is pretty tough, but a sapphire crystal is harder than anything but diamond. If you really want scratch resistance, Rado makes a watch that's coated with a sheet of diamond. It's called the V10K; too bad its ugly...)

I did it!! Smile

First I breathed on it and with a 'micro fibre' pad special for glassware right from the bag, cleaned it. There were some persistent spots, so then I use spectacle cleaner as I didn't have alcohol... (all alcohol I have is drinkable... Wink) and that's it...

Looks like new!! Smile

Thanks for the info you all gave in this thread. It is very useful.

Paul Cezanne

Interesting. :/ .... I have just cleaned two of my lenses using fluid and tissues. And then viewed the results through a 7x loupe/jewellers eyeglass. Big Grin Clean to the naked eye but...when you enlarge it not so clean.
I am going to try an anti-static cleaner next. Just a little on a tissue. Will let you know how it goes as I have to order it first. It now carries a Government 'warning' ,for carriage. And it is only what I bought years ago, to clean plastic double glazing.

Oh! and my little scratch is about 1.5 mm long and 0.25 wide and about 1.5mm from edge of lens. The lens has a diameter of around 70mm. Cannot tell how deep it is. Tamron rules OK.Rolleyes

Lumix LX5.

First - on cleaning lenses: The lens pen is perfect for the job and only costs about $14 AU. I have one and it is fantastic. Most camera stores carry them.

Second - on breaking /scatching lenses: I have twice had my 24-70 2.8 L lens fall in it's 'face' while on a tripod. Both times the metal collar that holds the filters has taken the impact. First time the metal is bent slightly and the second time the metal has a small cut as it hit a rock. I have had two other occasions where I have dropped my camera or fallen on it while shooting in less than ideal locations (like a glacier) and the lens hood has always taken the impact safely.

My lens will no longer accept a filter very easily - but will still hold the lens cap. I don't use filters usually. I think both impacts probably would have destroyed the filter. I think Canon designed the lens very well with the metal filter holder being very toughh and extending far enough to protect the lens in most instances. It is there pro series lens and is very heavy for a standard zoom - but tough.

On whether filters are worth it: A lot of pros have insurance on their gear. If you break an expensive filter it is about the same as the cost to insure that lens - even more if it is a cheap lens. So they would prefer to go without the filter and just let the insurance pick up the tab. Filters can also scratch a lens when they break - so are not the perfect solution.

Best protection is to buy a hard lens hood and always leave it on the the lens. The two really solid impacts I had were not a problem due to the lens hood.

Canon stuff.

I have Cokin filter holders on all my lenses which makes the filters interchangeable. I did once drop my 50mm@1.4 onto a table-top and it was the filter holder that saved it from coming into contact with the hard surface. (no damage done). As for cleaning I use Pre-moistened spectacle cleaning cloths that come in individual sachets bought from a supermarket. (very handy for carrying around in the camera bag)

Actually, I have - my 18-55 kit lens was damaged when my brother threw a bean sack toy at me, and it hit the lens straight on. It felt like the zoom mechanism came off its tracks or something, and I don't think a filter would have helped in that situation! Big Grin

I've just noticed too that my filter has some cosmetic scratches on the metal rim, where I must have rubbed against some metal fences while travelling. It's silver where the paint has come off - it's just cosmetic, but I'm glad it's the filter and not the lens... Big Grin

Here we go. One scratch and a bit of dust which is showing because of the light.
Just looking at the lens normally it looks clean. I don't know how thick the bloom is, but I think the scratch is deeper than the bloom. I don't know how I got it though, I always put the lens cap on between shots.
[Image: scrt.jpg]

Lumix LX5.

Thanks for the photo, NT. Looking at the size of it, and remembering that you've said that it doesn't affect the image, got me digging. I found this article by Mike Johnston, with the following suggestion:

Quote:Incidentally, if by any chance you do manage to get a small imperfection on your lens, try this trick to put your mind at rest. This is something I learned from the legendary Pentax technical guru and Mensch of the Mountain Don Nelson. Tear a corner off the sticky part of a Post-It note so that you've got a bit of paper about the size of a pea. Stick it on your lens. Now look through the viewfinder.
I tried it myself, and there's a very slight difference that I can see if I'm panning the lens across a blue sky. It helps that I used painters tape, with a strong green colour cast. I tested it with a telephoto lens, and focused fairly far away, which is typical for my recent photography. And I chickened out and tested the only lens that has a UV filter on it, which was a good thing as the tape left a residue that needed some enthusiasm to remove.

A wide-angle on close focus would have worse results, but I'm not so eager to try this on my 7-14.

I have a new 'pro' telephoto lens arriving soon, and I bought a UV filter for it. Theory is one thing...

All my lenses have UV filters on them from the moment I take them out of the box at purchase. Never remove them unless I see dust behind them.

I've never damaged a lens though my 500 was covered in sea spray and sand from trying to shoot some surfing. (Lousy results) The lens cleaned up beautifully and the glass was protected by the skylight filter.

NT: As the scratch is small and on the perimeter of the lens this won't affect you at all. Less light travels thought the edge anyways, coupled with the fact you have a 1.6 crop factor on your sensor in the Canon.

My cleaning for lenses goaes as follows:-

Stage 1 - Bulb Blower if that doesn't work:
Stage 2 - Lens pen brush
Stage 3 - Felt pad on lens pen.
Stage 4 - Lens paper and lens cleaner fluid.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55