Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

External Flash

[size=medium

Hi, I am in the process of purchasing accessories for my new hobby.

So far I have:

D7100 Nikon camera/AF-S 18-70MM, AF-S 70-300MM, and AF-50/F1.8 Nikkor Prime lenses.
Dolica LX600B502DS 60" Pro Tripod
Kenko Pro 1 Polarizing Filter
Nikon Wireless Remote
Nikon LCD Glass Protector

I know there are several other gadgets I will buy along the way, but for now, I am focused on a good external flash.

The Nikon ones seem too expensive for what they offer for extra features.
I have looked at the used market (Canada/US) and there are very little out there of the good SB series (SB-700/800/910) at a discount price.

I made a spreadsheet of several options and the one I am thinking of getting that is the Voking V-581-N.
It has a lot of features that I want and is on sale at a site for $160 whereas anywhere else it's over $200.
Metal shoe/3-sec recycle/20-105mm zoom/1/8000 shutter/easy interface/90-280 swing/PC connection.

I looked at Sigma, Nissin, Bower and Yungnuo but they all lack at least one of the features of the Voking, except the Nissin Di866 which is $240 more and I could get an SB-700 new for that price.
The few SB-800s I ran across have a ridiculous price tag and I could buy a new 910 for the same price.

Has anyone here had experience with the Voking? I can't find a manufacturer's website or any reviews. I am waiting for the supplier to get back to me with the name of the manufacturer.

I looked at a few others, but they had plastic shoes (and FYI-don't buy any with a plastic shoe). I learned my lesson a few years ago when I dropped a cheap flash from only about 3 feet from the ground and the shoe split in half. I did not attempt to solder it and take the chance of short circuiting my camera so I tossed it.

Thanks in advance for any comments.:Smile[/b][/size]

Pegger3D.

(Aug 28, 2014, 15:51)Pegger3D Wrote:  [size=medium

So far I have:

D7100 Nikon camera/AF-S 18-70MM, AF-S 70-300MM, and AF-50/F1.8 Nikkor Prime lenses.
Nikon Wireless Remote

I know there are several other gadgets I will buy along the way, but for now, I am focused on a good external flash.

I have looked at the used market (Canada/US) and there are very little out there of the good SB series (SB-700/800/910) at a discount price.

I made a spreadsheet of several options and the one I am thinking of getting that is the Voking V-581-N.
It has a lot of features that I want and is on sale at a site for $160 whereas anywhere else it's over $200.
Metal shoe/3-sec recycle/20-105mm zoom/1/8000 shutter/easy interface/90-280 swing/PC connection.

I looked at Sigma, Nissin, Bower and Yungnuo but they all lack at least one of the features of the Voking, except the Nissin Di866 which is $240 more and I could get an SB-700 new for that price.
The few SB-800s I ran across have a ridiculous price tag and I could buy a new 910 for the same price.

Has anyone here had experience with the Voking? I can't find a manufacturer's website or any reviews. I am waiting for the supplier to get back to me with the name of the manufacturer.

I looked at a few others, but they had plastic shoes (and FYI-don't buy any with a plastic shoe). I learned my lesson a few years ago when I dropped a cheap flash from only about 3 feet from the ground and the shoe split in half. I did not attempt to solder it and take the chance of short circuiting my camera so I tossed it.

Pegger3D.

So...Exactly what features ARE you looking for that brought you to such an unknown brand?
And, whatever you buy, make sure there's actually some support im whatever part of the world you live in.
It is recommended by many (including me), that you purchase an OEM flash as your first. Then, as you get more experience, you look for something else.
I currently only shoot with Nikon flashes, as that allows me to use the Nikon CLS (Creative Light System) optical slave flash management. No extra flash triggers needed to get TTL exposure control.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Thks Wall-E

I was hoping a member had used one of these since it has a lot of features for a mid-range flash:

VOKING VK581 MASTER HIGH SPEED SYN SPEEDLITE FOR NIKON

The Voking speedlite VK580 is an EOS-dedicated , high output flash unit automatically compatible with i TTL auto flash. It can serve as an on-camera flash as well as a master unit or a slave unit in a wireless , multiple-speedlite system, it come with high speed syn enable the shutter speed up to 1/8000.

-Main function : E-TTL Ⅱ / manual output / strobe / Front curtain sync / Optical Master / optical auxiliary lamp / light lead flashing (S1) / secondary -light lead flashing (S2)

-Up to 1/8000s high speed syn

-Maximum flash GN index 58 (105mm, ISO 100, m )
-Shorter recycling time
-Flash range covering 24-105mm lens focal length
-Excellent performance of dust and water droplets
-Wireless multi- flash control lights
-Comprehensive professional flash function
-Supports a variety of camera settings flash function

-New additions electrical socket and PC terminals

However, the supplier cannot give me the Chinese MFG (probably for proprietary reasons) so I will likely pass. The supplier has only a 30-day return policy on electronics.

Too bad, because for my usage (a hobby) I would not need an expensive flash.

I do realize that the Nikon would be much sturdier and reliable-that is part of what you pay for.

Subtract what this flash does, and what really does an SB with CLS have to offer? Maybe focus sync on non-centered targets.
Most of the time over-exposure can be fixed with software. I am not going to be doing any studio work anytime soon.

Bu thanks for your opinion. I appreciate it. Wink

Pegger3D

You have not mentioned Metz. They make a great flash IMO.

(Sep 4, 2014, 08:17)Orca Wrote:  You have not mentioned Metz. They make a great flash IMO.

Yeh, I looked at a few Metz. Seemed too bulky and not enough features.

I am now considering a Yongnuo YN 560III. Nice interface, fast, lots of features and for less than $100.

Supposed to work pretty well with Nikon CLS. I think it takes 2 test flashes, while the SB-700 takes 3.

Anyone out there using one?

Thks

(Sep 4, 2014, 08:17)Orca Wrote:  You have not mentioned Metz. They make a great flash IMO.

Thanks guys. I forgot about this post.

FYI,

I ended up buying a little used SB700 for $200 and it works great.

Most of the features of the SB910 for 1/3 of the price.Tongue

(Aug 28, 2014, 15:51)Pegger3D Wrote:  [size=medium

So far I have:

Nikon Wireless Remote

Pegger3D.

You might check out the Meike MK-900 iTTL Flash Speedlight For Nikon. I don't know if the shoe is plastic or not. I have seen a couple of photographers who were pretty happy with theirs. The MK-900 is supposed to work with the NIKON CLS. Have a GREAT DAY!

Jeffrey Anderson

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Arielle31
Dec 8, 2020, 22:32