Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

External HDD

I've been thinking of getting an external HDD for backup and storage purposes. Probably around the 120-200 GB range.

The one that looks the best at this stage is the LaCie 160GB HDD (USB2) Porsche 3 Casing selling for $262 AUD.

Anyone have any recommendations? What does everyone else use? Apart from space, speed (RPM), and transfer type (USB2) -- is there anything else to look out for?

I have a BusLink 80gb external drive. No problems with it whatsoever. Will probably buy another (larger) one within the next year as it's getting kinda cramped in there.

One thing to look for is software - mine came with partitioning software which made setting it up quite easy (though it was slow on my old Win98 machine. Now that I have XP I'm not sure if this is necessary.)

Try to (if you can) get a Firewire case, or a case with firewire and usb 2.0, once you use the firewire you will forget what usb even is. Also look at buying a HDD enclosure and hdd separately, might be cheaper, LaCie is dear, but still quality, but imo a little over priced.

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post