Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

External storage for your camera???

I have a X's Drive Pro VP-3310 40Gig as an external storage medium for when I am travelling. Means I can use a couple of 512Mb cards and never run out. Cost me $250 with the 40Gig drive. Not the smallest out there but works well and came with an extra battery and 12V car adapter lead.

What are others using?

Cool :/

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

Right now I use 3 256meg cards and when I need to and when it permits I bring my notebook along.So far that has done me well. When the x's drive goes down in price I'll consider it but here a 40gig is still around $450.00 -$500.00 or more. Still quite pricey.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Why do you have to buy it where you live, we live in this wonderful internet age.

They are only AU$250 plus postage from Power in Numbers, cheaper for the slower or smaller hard drives..

http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/

Albert Einstein

I have a 10GB ImageTank - strictly no frills bulk storage and a 30 GB Photo iPod which is of course filled with frills.

This is plenty of storage for me - I have never come close to filling up even the 10 GB Image Tank on one trip (3 weeks typical).

I'll probably drop back to the iPod now - it is smaller, has more storage, and plays my music as well - also shows slideshows in theory (I shoot RAW so it is just bulk storage for me)

I also carry a 1GB CF card, and a backup 340 MB Microdrive (about 120 photos between them - shooting RAW on my 8 MPx A2)

Peted Wrote:Why do you have to buy it where you live, we live in this wonderful internet age.

They are only AU$250 plus postage from Power in Numbers, cheaper for the slower or smaller hard drives..

http://www.powerinnumbers.com.au/

I purcahsed my Image Tank from PowerinNumbers (from Aus) and can't say enough good about them - I had it in my hands in 3 days - and the owner was very helpful and efficient.

Rufus and I share a Vosonic X's drive 20 gig....cost us a bomb and I complained to them at the time that they were 1/3 of the price in Australia that they are here....didn't do me any good though they just said it was rogue pricing and that they weren't happy that it was being sold so cheaply. If I hadn't been worried at the potential for losing my money by ordering from the other side of the world I would've done.....maybe next time!

-NN

I have noticed that UK pricing on a lot of items is very high.

Power In Numbers is very reliable as are many other places. I have also had no problems with Ebay either mind you, looking to save maximum money on a Sigma 135-400mm very soon and will probably buy online from whoever has it cheapest, by the prices I have seen I can save ove 1/2 the money by not buying in Australia.

Albert Einstein

I use 1gb split into 3 CF cards... if I take a longer trip I use my IPAQ to switch files from the CF cards to my collection of SD cards.

WHat Ipaq are you using, we have them at work, 2210's I think with both CF and SD slots, handy but you still need SD cards as well. The new Ipod Photo looks interesting but the price is outrageous.

Albert Einstein

EnglishBob Wrote:I use 1gb split into 3 CF cards... if I take a longer trip I use my IPAQ to switch files from the CF cards to my collection of SD cards.

Just realised, at Fresno, you are almost a neighbor to my sister, she lives at San Leandro out from San Francisco.

Albert Einstein

I've got a 256 xD card... if I go on longer trips I switch to film. Haha, just kidding.

Actually I haven't been on any extended trips yet, so I'm still surviving. Big Grin

In that case you need to get out more and take more photo!

Albert Einstein

I'm using a 2210 Peted, and I drive through San leandro about once every 8 weeks, on my way to San Fancisco and Northern California Dealers.

Cool, my sister is a US citizen and has lived there for about 10-12 years.

Albert Einstein

I'm an English Citizen adn have lived here for a little over 4 years

Never been to continental US but get over to Hawaii (Hono) every couple of years with work.

Albert Einstein

Peted Wrote:I looking to save maximum money on a Sigma 135-400mm very soon and will probably buy online from whoever has it cheapest, by the prices I have seen I can save ove 1/2 the money by not buying in Australia.

Now that's one of the few things that's available at a very reasonable price in the UK at Warehouse Express. Typical price here is over £400, but they're doing it at £299. Good company...we've used them several times and they seem reliable and trustworthy. In fact, Rufus got his 135-400 there a few weeks ago. I'd love one for my *isD having seen first hand what a good performer it is.

--NN

noisynoodle Wrote:
Peted Wrote:I looking to save maximum money on a Sigma 135-400mm very soon and will probably buy online from whoever has it cheapest, by the prices I have seen I can save ove 1/2 the money by not buying in Australia.

Now that's one of the few things that's available at a very reasonable price in the UK at Warehouse Express. Typical price here is over £400, but they're doing it at £299. Good company...we've used them several times and they seem reliable and trustworthy. In fact, Rufus got his 135-400 there a few weeks ago. I'd love one for my *isD having seen first hand what a good performer it is.

--NN

I have seen them through Ebay at US$250 but only available to US, will keep looking as they are $799 here. Online I have seen them at US499 new.

Albert Einstein

What I bring depends on how much I expect to shoot.
I've always got my 512mb and 1gb card with my camera (usually lasts an outing);
If I expect to be taking more pictures, I'll bring my CompactDrive (40gb capacity, but I've got other things on there as well Wink) That's more than enough;
if I'm travelling, I bring my laptop, so that I can see the pictures and also use my laptop for other purposes Smile

I was thinking of getting a secondhand laptop and putting a big hard drive in it just so that I can have some way to have a play with photos when I am away but I think that the money is just not going to spread that far.

Albert Einstein

make sure its got usb2.0 though, or be prepared to wait

My laptop hard drive is 60gb, but that can't hold many pictures, so I copy them into my portable HDD (external USB2.0/Firewire 3.5" 160GB)
I just managed to copy all the pictures ive ever taken since I got my 300D into there a few weeks ago... Big Grin

I think your just showing off now <grin>, can't have too much storage. Do you burn to DVD as well?

Albert Einstein

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post