Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fashion Catwalk shoot

Hi Folks - I have been chosen to take a place this Sunday in the Photographers Pit at London Fashion Weekend. I have never had this experience before and I need as much help and guidance as possible.
I shoot a Nikon 610 (FX) and will use my 28/300 lens to take the three top shots: full length, half body and head shot. Will probably have ISO 8000 and K 5600.
Should I shoot RAW or JPEG fine?
Should I take a Mono-pod?
Auto-focus or not? If yes settings?
Flash or not?
Any other tips and tricks really appreciated - I'm so excited about this and don't want to get it wrong.
Thanks
Roger

[quote='rogerconnolly' pid='96936' dateline='1410988710']
Hi Folks - I have been chosen to take a place this Sunday in the Photographers Pit at London Fashion Weekend. I have never had this experience before and I need as much help and guidance as possible.
I shoot a Nikon 610 (FX) and will use my 28/300 lens to take the three top shots: full length, half body and head shot. Will probably have ISO 8000 and K 5600.
Should I shoot RAW or JPEG fine?
Should I take a Mono-pod?
Auto-focus or not? If yes settings?
Flash or not?
Any other tips and tricks really appreciated - I'm so excited about this and don't want to get it wrong.
Thanks
Roger

hi-Roger
Congrats on being chosen for the shoot,Im sure you would not have been chosen if you were not capable so have confidence in your ability.I had a similar one myself but did not get much help from others I hope you do better.All I can offer is with the camera you have if you use full auto you will still get very good results this will also solve the issue about flash as the camera will decide as for a monopod why not it can only help.The main concern is the lense you use what make is it,as the quality will have some bearing ,also bracketing may be a good idea so you get 3shots at different settings,program auto could be used at a different iso setting.I would use auto focus as you may have moving people in the frame possibly spot focus but I don't know if you can set these in full auto on your camera if not you can set these in Program auto.As far as raw or jpegfine.if you intend to do some work on them after and you are familiar with raw do so .I find jpeg fine nearly as good.Pleaselet us know what the lens is -tamron -sigma-etc .Sorry for the double reply.

Are there any Parameters, is flash prohibited? Ed.

To each his own!

(Sep 17, 2014, 16:28)a_orme Wrote:  hi-Roger
Congrats on being chosen for the shoot,Im sure you would not have been chosen if you were not capable so have confidence in your ability.I had a similar one myself but did not get much help from others I hope you do better.All I can offer is with the camera you have if you use full auto you will still get very good results this will also solve the issue about flash as the camera will decide as for a monopod why not it can only help.The main concern is the lense you use what make is it,as the quality will have some bearing ,also bracketing may be a good idea so you get 3shots at different settings,program auto could be used at a different iso setting.I would use auto focus as you may have moving people in the frame possibly spot focus but I don't know if you can set these in full auto on your camera if not you can set these in Program auto.As far as raw or jpegfine.if you intend to do some work on them after and you are familiar with raw do so .I find jpeg fine nearly as good.Pleaselet us know what the lens is -tamron -sigma-etc .Sorry for the double reply.

Thanks for your very kind input. My lens is: AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm 1:3.5-5.6G.
hadn't considered bracketing. Can auto track focus, but thought a 11 or 21 spot meter would work ok? Will take a Monopod hope there's room in the Pit.

(Sep 18, 2014, 01:23)EdMak Wrote:  Are there any Parameters, is flash prohibited? Ed.

Thanks Ed - Flash is permitted - I use a Speedlight SB-910 which can be fully auto based on camera settings. Also has a couple of filters Blue and Orange and a couple of diffusers.

(Sep 18, 2014, 01:46)rogerconnolly Wrote:  
(Sep 17, 2014, 16:28)a_orme Wrote:  hi-Roger

Thanks for your very kind input. My lens is: AF-S NIKKOR 28-300mm 1:3.5-5.6G.
hadn't considered bracketing. Can auto track focus, but thought a 11 or 21 spot meter would work ok? Will take a Monopod hope there's room in the Pit.
hi-roger
You have a good lens there but if you have to do any portrait photos perhaps it may be an idea to take a prime lens with you also set to auto focus ,with auto focus area set to spot mode and metering mode set to spot mode.I find that if i set auto focus to multi-segment when taking a pic of a specific object you do not define the object but the whole scene.these of course are my own thoughts on the matter and i in no way do i want to undermine your own thoughts,regards andy

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by John M
Nov 8, 2013, 06:51