Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fashion Show Season 2: GF-1 with Legacy Lenses - The Primes

Well, the original Fashion Show featuring large Nikon zooms was pretty much a disaster - both looks-wise and usability-wise.

Nevertheless, I wasn't quite ready to give up on using legacy lenses on the GF-1 just yet - particularly in the face of some of Kombi's successes in this avenue. So, I started to cruise Ebay for small, cheap, and sharp manual focus Nikon lenses. No need to pay for for auto-focus now, is there?

First of all, I picked up this delightfully retro looking 50mm (100 equiv) F2.0 manual focus lens for about $50.

[Image: GF1-50.jpg]

Seems quite sharp and looks really sweet on the GF-1. Its not horribly fast and certainly isn't up to Zig's standards - but we'll be giving it a try.

Love him or hate him, Ken Rockwell has written more reviews of Nikon lenses than anyone else on the planet. Here is what he has to say: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/50mm-f2.htm

Many of you can recall that I featured my Tamron F2.8 90mm macro (180 equiv) in the last Fashion Show , but I never reviewed it. Here is another glance at it in case anyone has forgotten:

[Image: 53_Tamron.jpg]

Frankly, the Tamron is a lovely lens and actually worked quite well on the GF-1 - but it is just too darn big in this configuration and it deserves a better fate than that - especially when there is another candidate in the wings.

The Nikon 100mm E Series F2.8 (200mm equiv) is the smallest and lightest 100mm telephoto that Nikon ever made - it is also extremely sharp. Mr Rockwell gives it a glowing report: http://www.kenrockwell.com/nikon/100f28E.htm

This is actually looking pretty good as a 200mm F2.8 prime equivalent on the GF-1. I bought it for less than $100 and it is absolutely mint - it shows no signs of ever having been used.

[Image: Gf1-100.jpg]

I'll be publishing a separate thread on the usability / image quality of these combinations later.

Now this is more like it Toad! Big Grin

Looking really good there. As much as Ken Rockwell gives me the $#!ts, I don't hold that against Nikon. There's no question that's some sweet glass you've got there.
I agree about the Tamron looking a bit too bulky, but the two Nikon lenses look like they belong on a GF1. And 50mm and 100mm are such useful focal lengths on this camera. I hope you enjoy them as much as I do my old Canon FD primes.

I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience shooting with them.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I like to read your fashion show posts, Toad... just to see how enthusiastic you are about your new camera...

Looking forward to seeing your pictures... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Thanks people - I will try to get out shotting this weekend and let you know how it goes.

I do agree with Ade most certainly: beautifully matched!
Alrighty..not only have you got the looks department covered in spades with that 50mm...but, my, what a lens too: If I'm correct, wasn't this THE sharpie that covered all photojournalistic bases along with the Vietnam war, doing it stonkingly and with a crisp, edgy look all of its own(performing mightily across the frame from f4 and all points smaller)? Heck..that 100mm too. The best of "retro" and superbly engineered by all accounts. Should put a spring in the Toad's hop! Big Grin

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Thanks Zig. For some reason, my memories of the whole Vietnam War era are very hazy...

....that'll be Purple Hazy then..Wink...
Ya had ta be there, man.. Cool :/ Tongue

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post