Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fighting Glasses Glare

How do you fight glasses glare? I turned my flash off for these.... Grrrr
Yes I know the baby's eyes are closed... I think my sessions with this family are cursed. Smile These are their re-takes because they did not like the first set. I did the first session basically free, $30 just to cover gas. Now that I've driven there TWICE and spent $40 in gas... I'm thinking I should have charged them the full price. And I need to fix that ODD square in the corner still.

Thoughts and suggestions? These have me kinda down.

Photo 

(Nov 12, 2012, 16:37)BrandyMaeD Wrote:  How do you fight glasses glare? I turned my flash off for these.... Grrrr
Yes I know the baby's eyes are closed... I think my sessions with this family are cursed. Smile These are their re-takes because they did not like the first set. I did the first session basically free, $30 just to cover gas. Now that I've driven there TWICE and spent $40 in gas... I'm thinking I should have charged them the full price. And I need to fix that ODD square in the corner still.

Thoughts and suggestions? These have me kinda down.

BrandyMae Go here, there is a good setup on how to reduce ore stop Glasses Glare.

http://digital-photography-school.com/ho...on-glasses

Bounce the flash helps eliminate some of the glare.

The simple solution is to make her take off her glasses. I've been wearing glasses since I was in the first grade and I can't remember one family shot where I've kept them on. It was probably my artistic sense telling me that they don't always look right in images Smile However, if I was ever caught by surprise or I was at an event, everytime a photographer would approach me I would turn my head in the opposite direction from where the flash was coming, this would remove unwanted reflections. In your case, you can also bounce a flash from the ceiling, I believe it would help, it would give a really nice effect of fill light without creating any shadows. Make sure to have a dedicated flash facing the ceiling at exactly 90 degrees. And when doing so, more your subjects away from the background, it will create a better effect. Anyway, hope it helps!
Photo 

(Nov 24, 2012, 03:53)alessya Wrote:  The simple solution is to make her take off her glasses. I've been wearing glasses since I was in the first grade and I can't remember one family shot where I've kept them on. It was probably my artistic sense telling me that they don't always look right in images Smile However, if I was ever caught by surprise or I was at an event, everytime a photographer would approach me I would turn my head in the opposite direction from where the flash was coming, this would remove unwanted reflections. In your case, you can also bounce a flash from the ceiling, I believe it would help, it would give a really nice effect of fill light without creating any shadows. Make sure to have a dedicated flash facing the ceiling at exactly 90 degrees. And when doing so, more your subjects away from the background, it will create a better effect. Anyway, hope it helps!

Alessya,
And, as a Fellow Glasses wearer, you are more than probably well aware that you can now get an anti Reflective coating on Glasses that stops the Glare cold.
Bloke AKA Ian

The matriarch on her own looks good and professional.
I am not going to say anything about her family.
How people look to others, is the way fortune was dished out at birth.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Bloke,
Sorry, but I'm not wearing glasses anymore, I've switched to contact lens some time ago Smile Thanks anyway!

I've run into many people that want their glasses on when they have the picture taken, they feel the glasses are how they look to others, so should be in the photographs.

I would comment that 90 degrees is not required for bouncing to work, I find better results with anything from slightly elevated to fully reversed and bouncing off the wall behind me. One thing you do have to watch is white balance if the walls / ceiling are strongly coloured.

(Nov 24, 2012, 12:50)EnglishBob Wrote:  I would comment that 90 degrees is not required for bouncing to work, I find better results with anything from slightly elevated to fully reversed and bouncing off the wall behind me. One thing you do have to watch is white balance if the walls / ceiling are strongly coloured.

You're absolutely right, the 90 degrees are just a personal option that I like best and that's because almost all the time the ceiling is white which doesn't interfere with the white balance, it actually helps. Also, I don't usually work with the flash slightly elevated because of the shadows it gives Smile

I don't know what I did wrong... I think I should stick to outdoor photos haha. Thanks for all the help.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Don Schaeffer
Jun 8, 2009, 17:59
Last Post by Irma
Mar 23, 2008, 12:54