Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Finding photo's

I have a database list, of all slides which have been scanned so far, with info on 'What where who date etc'
I would like a freebie programme that uses this info to locate a photo on the pc.
In other words find a pic from a sort and click to view it.
Does anyone know of anything like that?.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Hm... interesting Ray... is the database just a text file? And your images just in folders - i.e. you're not using an app like Picasa for image management?

I can think of a few ideas:

1. Open the file into Excel, where you can turn on Data > Filter > Autofilter so you can sort and search for stuff. To automatically link to an image, you could add a column with \\path\to\file_name.jpg which will turn it into a link. Just click on it and voila!

2. Import your photos into a photo management app like Picasa or Photoshop Elements, then manually add tags and comments. I'm guessing the prospect of this wouldn't be too palatable if you have a sizable collection of images. Not sure if there are automated ways of doing it or not...

3. There are a few tools which can export and import EXIF and/or ITPC data from your images. If you can manipulate the text file into a format readable by the tool, then import the data into the comments field, you can embed the data within the image files themselves. Then you can use programs to actually search the EXIF/ITPC data, or import them into your favourite photo management app. I think you might even be able to use the windows find feature to do it...

Can anyone think of anything else?

Of all the above, #1 would probably be easiest, straightfoward and most practical. #2 is most elegant in the long run but would involve a lot of manual labour. #3 will need a lot of tinkering and massaging to get right, with possibility of corrupting your image files (make sure take a copy!)...

#1 seems like the way...I never thought of putting a link in.
Thanks ST.
I use 'Microsoft works database' (the one that comes with xp home version, and just windows files on an ext HD rather than in 'my pictures folder ' .
I am trying to keep the pics off the PC until I need them, to improve running speed.

The Database I use, as far as I know is just text.

I can't get Excel for some reason. But I don't really need it so I have never tried too hard to load it. i.e. It is on the disc but nothing happens. Broken link on disc? I get all the other stuff on the disc.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Hm... funny about excel. I know it comes with Microsoft Office, not Works, although Works might have a spreadsheet app or something similar.

You could use openoffice.org, which is a free office suit - it's great.

Another thought - since you've already got the data in a database app, why not just add another field for the link? Big Grin

Just tried adding a photo address, and it doesn't make a link, like Microsoft Word does. Maybe it's not meant to.
I never got to grips with the spreadsheet. Last one I used was on a 64kb atari.
I have the full ms.office/business disc somewhere, but we found the simpler version was easier to follow.
Oh bedtime here in the UK 03.10 am.

Lumix LX5.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Jul 14, 2020, 09:55
Last Post by Barbara G.
Mar 12, 2020, 04:53