Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fingers or Pick?

Some people play the bass guitar with their fingers, some use a pick. What's the difference? Is it just a preference, or are there advantages?

Well, there is one *ell of a sound difference. The attack of a pick is quite unlike the attack of a finger, (or paw). Big Grin

Cave canem

A lot of difference, whether you use a pick, fingertips, fingernails;
I do 'hybrid picking' so I've always got my pick still in my fingers if i need it;
There are advantages with using your fingers, since with a pick, you can only hit one note at a time (even if you strum, its one note at a time, just a very short space between each one); with fingers (im talking about fingerpicking; I just realised that some people use their finger to strum, I personally prefer a pick), anyway, with fingers, you can do more than one note at a time Smile~

Then I just read your post again and realised that you were taking about bass guitar Sad~ haha
but again, you can get more than one note at a time using your fingers, and maybe increased speed of hitting a note if you use two fingers rather than alternating pick.

I like finger Smile

*woof woof*

i find that ,ost people use their fingers.. usually alternate two of them and pluck that way ..
i like slap ... thats gool .. my frend could do it on the double bass as welll ..
walking baselines rock!

So, you play bass, ST?

Cave canem

I pretend to Smile

I use my thumb most of the time... I never really took any lessons, so I'm wondering whehter that's the right way to do it...

Bass is very versatile....
Use whatever sounds right, and allows you to develop. I realised a bit late in life, that musically, you do what works. Throw out the books!
I sell music, in small quantities, which I wrote back in the late 1990's, so I know what I'm saying.

No. You cant hear it. It secular, and I take no pride in it. In fact I havent even heard it for years, and someone else sells it for me.

Cave canem

Rufus Wrote:Bass is very versatile....
Use whatever sounds right, and allows you to develop. I realised a bit late in life, that musically, you do what works. Throw out the books!

That's great to hear, Rufus. Smile
* throws books out window, into neighbour's back yard *

I think its pretty much down to personal taste. A lot of the grunge rock bass players play with a pick - the bass lines are simple and they prefer the sharper attack (more defined sound) that the pick gives you. I would like to say that you can do faster runs with a pick, but that's not really true.

I personally think its better to go fingers all the way. The best bass players go fingerstyle (Nathan East, Stu Hamm, etc) and you can do much more with your fingers (like slap and pop your strings) than you can with a pick. I'm not sure if Flea (Chilli Peppers basist) plays with a pick as well, but I'm pretty sure he plays with fingers. Big Grin

By the way ST, your bass is ready for pickup - I cleaned the whole guitar, polished the frets, lowered the action (easier to play) and fixed the intonation on all the strings - they were all out by 1/3rd of a semi-tone at the 12th fret Rolleyes

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Haha, very good, axeman!

How about some piccies of the guitar you restored, and also your maton?

When playing I use ym fingers, the Clicking sound made by the Pick is annoying, But I don't play a lot, I would Like t learn a little tho =)

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

I love the bass solo Stu Hamm did on the Joe Satriani San Francisco DVD! and I couldn't finger (Wink Wink) out whether the crowd were shouting Stu or Boo!

Aha!

They were shouting ROOOO!! Short for Rufus! Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

Cave canem

Yes! I have the same DVD!!! I dunno why they boo him - they always boo Stu. I saw it again in a G3 DVD. Must be a traditional thing... Big Grin

My all time favourite bass solos are by Abraham Laboriel - who plays for Ron Kenoly. If you watch the videos, it's awesome when he starts jumping around on stage during his solos... Big Grin

LOL! RUFUS!! hahahah
rooooooooooo for rufus Tongue hahaha
Steve Vai concert here soon, tomorrow night maybe? I'm not sure, I'm not going... $60! ahhh!!! I need to find a money source Tongue

Yes! I've seen the video!! jump and spin and spin spin spin spin!!! I think that was the Ron Kenoly video, unless it was some other bassist.

A lot of bassists I see play love to dance around.

The amazing thing about it was that he wasn't on a wireless rig, so it was quite a feat to pull off without tripping!

yes, it's truly amazing seeing such a big man spin around playing bass and not get tangled in the wires.