Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fitting a ring flash to my SLR?

Hope this is the right placed to be posting this...

I have a stupid question! Smile

I have been wanting a ringflash for sometime now (I used to model on occasion and LOVED the the way that a ringflash would make photos look). Well, I finally have my first SLR, and it's a Canon EOS 300D.. Could anyone please explain to me what 'size'/type I would need to fit on the camera? I know it sounds like a ridiculous question, but I am not sure how I would fit it. Also, is there a difference between the "macro ring light" vs just a regular one? Sorry guys, I have no experience with this kind of thing, but you gotta learn from somewhere, right?

Macro ring lights tend to be shorter ranged though there are some that can be used for both.

Some are handheld, others fit onto the lens filter threads.

As Craig says, there are a couple of options.

Canon and Sigma both make ones that will fit directly on your camera and communicate with it (the MR-14 and EM-140, respectively), and these will work for some short-range photography as well as the macro photography that they're designed for. But their power is limited, and they're best when they're used for fill light instead of as a main light.

Keep in mind that you shouldn't attach anything heavy to a lens with a rotating front element, such as the 18-55 or 55-250.

There are also studio ring lights that can cost anywhere from a few hundred to thousands of dollars, but these don't attach to the camera and probably aren't what you're thinking of.

And never hesitate to ask any question. As you say, we all learn it somewhere.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Sep 4, 2016, 14:17
Last Post by snaphappy
Apr 4, 2016, 11:09