Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flare 2

Hi yall!

Recently i posted a shot of Jemima.

Here is another shot from the same day. I was testing out how my sb800 would manage against the sunlight, it didnt.Smile i ended up using a 400 w/s strobe.
[Image: js2.jpg]

First let me say that she wasnt directed to do anything else then stand in the middle of the doorway,she was not all that excited about it but did it nevertheless (as you surely can tell from her expression). Since it wasnt really "serious" shoot i didnt pay much attention to watch she did since i was more interested in the lightning then anything else.

Critique is most welcome, but what im even more interested in is your thoughts on image similar to this one. Personally i dont think this one is over the top, but im not so sure i would "love" it if my daughter been at local portrai photographer and came home with shots like this.:/

I realize its diffrent if the children wearing an outfit and the whole point is for the child to act. Its more how would we like our children to be portraid as them self. (hope that made sense lol)
Bear in mind that im not talking about the sexual aspect, its more about if its okay to portrai children in poses that isnt "appropriate" (for the lack of a better word) for their age.

Whats your thoughts ? is it okay ?(not just for the image shown here) where should we draw the line ?(if it should be drawn at all)

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Paul - There is definately a line in the sand... I have no idea where, but Im sure there is one somewhere...

In my honest opinion this is a beautiful form of child photography. A serious expression (when captured right) is much more meaningful to me than a cheesy grin. I have refered to similar photos as being a glimpse of the future... as the expression can make the child appear older. I think it is the expression that has this effect in this portrait and not the pose.

I really like everything about this portrait. I think the pose is appropriate. I think adding the hands to a 'head and shoulders' portrait is great.
You have inspired me...

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

I saw your picture in the morning when you posted it and it made me think... and remember what I have done with girls that age in my family and how was their behavior....

One of them has been told always to smile at the camera, I hate her pictures, because she looks always with that fake smile that you can see miles away from the picture... Her pictures never look natural, you need to hide and take pictures of her without she taking any notice...

The other one, is a sweet girl, I think a little bit older than Jemima, and she is more natural. She pose for me and I took some pictures of her and I was surprised how old she looked in the pictures!! She showed character and personality.

I think your picture shows Jemima's personality, in a very natural way.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Paul.R.Lindqvist
Jun 24, 2007, 05:09