Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flash diffusers

Hi,

I want to buy some diffusers for my flash. I read about these ones. Does anyone have any comments about them? Something else you would recommend?

Thanks a lot for the info!

Irma.

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I've never used or seen one myself, but a bunch of people on my Oly forum love them. Some comments, each from a different user:

I still can't quite come to grips with how well and evenly it can light up a subject. Logic seems to imply that putting the Flip It in a vertical position with the flash pointing upwards, and even moreso with the Flip It angled backwards, can't in any way provide effective lighting. Yet it does.

I have the Demb Diffuser and for on camera flash I think it works great, especially for portrait type work and small groups. Larger groups the flip it alone without the diffuser seems to be the way to go.

I have been able to fill churches with light using the Flip-it.... I have two of the Large Flip-its (the big one was not on offer at the time) and I think I will buy the Big Flip-It as I think it will spread the light more. I have noticed in large rooms the large flip-it will send a band of light down the middle and you can see it fall off on the sides.

Compared with shot made with the Fong and Sto-fen, the Demb seems to be the most natural looking. However, I do not like the flimsiness of the Demb.
(my note: he doesn't like the velco) But I do like the versatility of the Demb to be able to change to portrait shots quickly and the image quality.

If you do decide to get one, let me know... I'm considering it myself.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

There are some other brands here in Germany, but as far as I have read the owners are not as happy as the people that have this brand. I will look for a dealer to get them here.

Thanks Matt... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Gary Fong has a a different product line that do the same thing (or mostly the same).

I actually have Fongs, and the product Irma linked to. I can highly recommend the flip-it with diffuser over the lightsphere product.

It folds flat so is easy to store in your gear bag, you can adjust the flash throw with the flip section and it diffusers really nicely. I never even bother with a bracket at a wedding because the light is so soft from it. It is also cheaper than the lightsphere.

At a wedding it never comes off the flash while inside.

If you want to see some pictures taken with it I can post them tonight.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Thanks so much Chris for your comment... I'd love to see your pictures.... Smile

The thing is that I am not good at taking pictures with my flash. I have read my manual, and I have tried to use it as it says but I don't get anything nice. My pictures have too much contrast I think, and I want to try more.

Paul Cezanne

I use a demb jumbo, I think it is wonderful Big Grin

I haven't found any dealer in Germany to buy them. They have already a flickr group I will ask them how to order from here.

Adam... Would you also share some pictures with that diffuser? Wink

Paul Cezanne

Hi Irma, thanks for bringing that diffuser to my attention - never seen it before. It looks great though!

I recently bought a sto-fen one, which definitely gives a better result than without, but I wouldn't say it's the absolute best either. I like it because it's compact, no fuss and you just whack it on and don't have to fiddle with it.

This one sounds quite interesting - must investigate more!

Ok - here are some quick examples I grabed from the wedding I photographed last Saturday.

1)
[Image: SPF_5105.JPG]
2) - Notice how soft the shadow is under the flower.
[Image: SPF_5141.JPG]
3)
[Image: SPF_5212.JPG]
4) - See how close they are to the wall, very soft shadow and no bracket needed.
[Image: SPF_5392.JPG]

Any more questions just ask.

Here is one from the wedding unrelated to flash (thought you might like it):
[Image: IMG_2893.jpg]

Canon stuff.

ST, Great that this info was useful to you... Smile

Thanks so much Chris for sharing your pictures. It is always a pleasure to see them.

I like a lot that you are telling where we should pay attention to see where the flash diffuser is working, like in the bouquet and the cake picture. I definitely will buy it. I have written my question in their flickr forum but they haven't answered yet, about how to get them here.

About your last picture... It is a dream... So beautiful landscape for this special moment... Smile Gorgeous light and composition. It looks like the last picture of a fairy tale book... Smile

Paul Cezanne

Irma - thanks for your comments.

I just bought mine from their web site. They shipped it to Australia.

Maybe you can do that.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Sep 4, 2016, 14:17
Last Post by snaphappy
Apr 4, 2016, 11:09