Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flash issues

Hey everyone. A slight problem I have: the flash that came with my camera only rotates in one direction, meaning that if i'm taking portrait-oriented photos, I can't bounce the flash off the ceiling. Now, my flash does have wireless capability (triggered by built-in camera flash), so, I can always stick the flash on a spare tripod and bounce it off the ceiling that way. However, I was just wondering if anyone could offer any other easier solutions? I've also tried using white card to bounce the flash toward the ceiling, with limited success.

(Buying a better flash gun isn't an option... i'm a poor uni student Sad )

Sony A700/ 16-80mm / 70-300mm / 11-18 mm / 100mm macro

My Flickr page

Hey RP, interesting problem there. I suppose you could use a diffuser and use the flash head on, but I'm not sure well the results will be compared to a bounce...

I suppose you could take landscape photos and crop later, but that is definitely not ideal. The wireless thing is an option - can your camera trigger the flash wirelessly?

Yes, the flash gun has a built-in flash slave unit which is triggered by the camera's built in flash. Having the flash on a tripod works, it's just not very convenient.

My Flickr page

Just hold the flash in your other hand?
I do this all the time, and it's not too bad--just use a spare finger to rotate your lens's zoom ring.

lol, or i just thought, i could rig up sort of a hat set up, with the flash on my forehead. (yeah, or not).

I'll have to try that, though.

My Flickr page

The hat idea has been done, too.
But there's a dorkyness line I just won't cross.
I think you would have to be wearing a Banana Republic khaki vest to get away with a flash hat.
Wink

Hahaha!Big Grin

My Flickr page

Haha, nice suggestion Keith...

Maybe you could strap the flash to the back of your left hand to keep it free, and then just raise your left hand to the roof whenever you want to take a pic! Big Grin

I made myself a softbox out of a cereal box once for use on the flash, it was quite effective with velcro tape to hold it to the flash however I took it to a club and used it but couldn't handle taking it out again looking like a tool with a cereal box attached Wink

Okay, I bought this. Still expensive, but a great deal, and hooray for tax returns!

My Flickr page

That looks like a good choice. Nobody ever said that photography's a cheap hobby, but I've bought from Cameta Auctions (as well as their physical store) and they do offer good prices.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

at first i was a bit dubious about buying from a company that spelled 'camera' incorrectly Big Grin

My Flickr page

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Sep 4, 2016, 14:17
Last Post by snaphappy
Apr 4, 2016, 11:09