Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Flight Shots

The dream of flying is as old as mankind... These animals can do it without machines.

Love Dance

[Image: rd0x0035.jpg]

X Wing

[Image: rd0x0620-01.jpg]

Hummingbird Hawkmoth

[Image: rd0x1254-01.jpg]

Mosquito

[Image: rd0x4684-01.jpg]

Falcon U-Turn

[Image: rd0x4969-01.jpg]

Owl

[Image: rd0x5029-01.jpg]

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

You must have incredible patience to get such great 'in flight' shots. I love the bug shots (as always) but the last two birds are stunning. So sharp and still.. .beautiful.

Canon 50D.
Redbubble

Wow thats some excellent shots G, my favourite is the x-wing.

Great job.

Thanx for sharing.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

The birds are awsome , nice timing on them . I have to ask is the dragon fly upside down ?

Good job ........... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Thanks y'all! Smile

@Smarti77: I'm not too patient, actually. The shot that requested the most patience was the mosquito. The autofocus wouldn't lock on the small thing so I had to focus manually. The little critter would hover for a second or so, and just when I got it sharp it would move on. I took around 15 shots to get a sharp one.

@Drake: No, it's not upside down, but it's back to front! Smile Here is a link to the original size.

As I commented once before, te X-WIng is awesome G. All your shots are reallt inspiring.

Outstanding. Any of the photos individually would be remarkable, but to be able to present an entire series is worth so much more. The diverse range of subjects makes for an excellent and interesting series.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Wow! What really caught my attention was the moth suckling from the flower. I've never seen anything like that in my life. Very well done G. If that isn't an award winner then I don't know what is.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I really admire the shots of insects. I have tried and tried to get them, especially a butterfly, They never stay in focus and my camera does not have manual focus. I didn't think this kind of photo was possible.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

The Humming Bird Hawkmoth is the one that grabs me, all great images.

Cheers,
Pat
Canon 400D plus assorted lenses

#1 Guerito is it a mirror/window image or two butterflies.
Whichever it is still good, and your other shots also.
The butterflies on the flowers and birds I can get, but little mozzies and so on I can't. They are too quick.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

g'day G, glad you decided to post these here..........great series!!!

they are all excellent but have to agree with Paul and Toad, X wing is my favorite. your flying right there with him!

Thanks again! Smile

@NT73: It's two butterflies, no PS trick. They seemed to be on a honeymoon. Here is another shot of these two:

[Image: rd0x0011.jpg]

I found that butterflies are the most difficult subjects to shoot in flight. The shot I posted is the only acceptable one in a series of around 40 or 50, and it is not really very sharp. Although it is near to impossible to get them in midair, it's comparatively easy when they are approaching a flower, like this one:

[Image: img_6630-01.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by EdMak
Apr 27, 2017, 04:16
Last Post by GrahamS
Feb 10, 2017, 17:01