Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Forest in fire (abstract)

Reading about abstract art to understand it and trying to produce it myself, I found two "tendencies". One says that the author leaves the image to be interpreted by the viewer or he gives a bit of an explanation so the viewer has more information to interpret his/her work.

I like the first idea and give the freedom to explore the image and see if it captures your attention. I think the title in some way gives a hint of what I saw. Paradoxically, this image is a work with water, it is a reflection of the lake and the only manipulation was with colors and light.

I know also that in abstract art there is no right and wrong, it is just as it is, but I would be interested to hear what you think of this work. Smile

[Image: Forest%20Fire%20IMG_3790-Edit.jpg]

Thanks so much for your comments.... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Gosh - a person after my own taste...(no surprise there)

What to say about abstract...historically the refuge of those that can't make it in realism or hyper-realism. Let's assume that abstract isn't totally the domain of the lame - and I think (and will defend) that Irma "gets" abstract.

Super use of negative space . Good use pf post processing to "abstract" the subject - distortion solid.

Art-wise - what do I want to see? I want to see the bright areas push out of the image and get in my face with the darker areas being the foundation for the piece. I want to feel rather than see this piece.

~~~~~~~~~~

I am sorry that I am harder on my critiques with you than others. My gut feeling is that you are the best here - and you have historically accepted critique and dramatically improved - why stop now?

Thanks Toad... Smile

When I search for the title of my picture and I saw the images they had for forest fires I thought... I think I am a bit shy with the orange... I agree with you that "fire" needed more brightness. I did it but I lost a bit of detail... The monster looks much better I think and more threatening. I don't know if I the skull is still well defined...

Here is my first try...

[Image: 48_Forest%20Fire%20IMG_3790-Edit.jpg]

Paul Cezanne

The second image is much stronger - the brighter orange also works to emphasize the greens.

I can make out the face and body of the monster, but wouldn't have seen it without prompting. But my mind just doesn't work that way, so others might have an easier time finding shapes and suggestions within the image.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

If you're anything like me, my fear button is linked to my contrast control...but like the Wizard of Oz, the humbug of this is apparent the closer one gets.
( ....hey, what I've written is nuts in English: it must be barking mad in German!)
Er, that is: don't be afraid of raising the contrast, even to the point of blowing out some highlights...the 2nd is really strong and the better image, as it has turned out to be more suggestive, more objectively symbolic rather than subjectively allegorical....thus allowing the viewer to bring their own inner vision to what they see.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Zig Wrote:( ....hey, what I've written is nuts in English: it must be barking mad in German!)
We don't have a 'laughing' emoticon big enough.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thanks Matthew for your comment... Smile I have seen your photography and your pictures are quite different from this one. They are amazing abstracts but much more cleaner.

Zig.... I hope you are getting better from your health problems. Thanks for your advice about contrast... Wink
I love when you write nuts in English... Wink

Paul Cezanne

awshucks you guys...Rolleyes

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Jun 30, 2017, 11:13
Last Post by Rolf
Feb 26, 2015, 19:03
Last Post by nia
Feb 21, 2010, 19:18