Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Forums, what happened?

Hoping this is just a temporary theme or a work in progress.  I am having many issues since yesterday....

Images are not resizing and as such the forum is VERY slow loading.
Text is hard to read.
There is no "View new posts" or "View today's posts" buttons, both of which I use extensively when browsing forums.

Yep, me too. Exactly what Bob said. Just tried to post some photos from this evening in a new thread but had to give up.

More and more users are accessing the site from mobile devices, and because of this we are updating the site to make them mobile friendly. Please bear with us as It will take a few days to finish everything, but we are hoping the changes will make the site better than ever.

Thanks,
Brandon

(Jun 24, 2016, 13:07)EnglishBob Wrote:  Hoping this is just a temporary theme or a work in progress.  I am having many issues since yesterday....

Images are not resizing and as such the forum is VERY slow loading.
Text is hard to read.
There is no "View new posts" or "View today's posts" buttons, both of which I use extensively when browsing forums.

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Hello,

The site is being upgraded for better access for mobile users. Please be patient during this upgrade.

Thanks,
Barbara

I'm in agreement with the others. The 'current GUI' isn't a patch on the old one. From a personal stance, I do not use 'mobile devices' I edit my photographs sitting at my desk, using a full blown 'Tower' and 28" monitor which is without doubt the most reliable way to go about things, and frankly I resent this 'pandering' to mobile devices..

It isn't 'just' on here this is happening either. There seems to be a whole industry growing up around 'pandering' to 'mobiles' in all different segments. We'll end up before long with a whole generation who are unable to use a keyboard, mouse, or any 'conventional' computing device. Even DSLR manufacturers are now fitting 'Touch Screens' to their cameras. Cannot the latest generation of photographers use the controls which are already there? A touch screen isn't going to help you take better photographs after all.

It makes my blood boil, at the continual 'dumbing down' of society. Now this site is jumping on the band wagon and pandering to 'mobile users'. I had thought that this site had some degree of 'exclusivity and passion'. Evidently I was wrong.

Phil.

Managed to upset my forum experience altogether, by inadvertently changing the Theme. As I struggled to get back to what it had been I went to User CP > Your Profile/Edit Options. At the very bottom, under Other Options, I found Board Style. By changing it to "Apart Twilight" it took me back to what I had before the changes were implemented. The photos are still the same rubbish size, but the rest of the forum is the old familiar look.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Well done, John - followed your example and, except for the image sizes still being weird, it's good to be viewing the ST forums as they used to look! Thank you.

Cheers.
Philip

(Jun 29, 2016, 14:06)Jocko Wrote:  Managed to upset my forum experience altogether, by inadvertently changing the Theme. As I struggled to get back to what it had been I went to User CP > Your Profile/Edit Options. At the very bottom, under Other Options, I found Board Style. By changing it to "Apart Twilight" it took me back to what I had before the changes were implemented. The photos are still the same rubbish size, but the rest of the forum is the old familiar look.

Thank God for that Jocko. I hate these damned things.

Cheers John. Smile

Well done Jocko! View Unread Posts is now back!! Apologies if I've missed any posts...

Thank You Jocko! Much happier now, and I have my Find New Threads buttons back!

As an aside, I use my Android Phone, Tablet, laptop and Desktop at different times when reading the forums, and the new theme isn't as friendly on the mobile devices as this one, it doesn't display properly.

Thanks again John.

My apologies for any discontent. All I can ask is please be patient in the process. 

Craig - can you let us know some of the issues with the mobile devices you are using when you have some free time. I am not sure all the updates are done here yet, so there may still be some adjustments coming.

Each of you are valued as a forum member here. Please try to look on the bright side when the updates are completed.

Any positive suggestions will be sent on to the admin.

Hi Gang,all change then! just clicked the little spanner thing all new stuff,still managed to log on ok,will get used to
new look I hope Smile

SmileJohn

(Jun 29, 2016, 13:39)Phil J Wrote:  It makes my blood boil, at the continual 'dumbing down' of society. Now this site is jumping on the band wagon and pandering to 'mobile users'. I had thought that this site had some degree of 'exclusivity and passion'. Evidently I was wrong.

Phil.

I recently spent a weekend giving basic tuition to a friend of the family who has purchased a new camera. I uploaded the photographs that I took to my Flikr photostream and sent my daughter a link. When I asked her what she thought of the photos, she complained that I had taken "too many landscapes which don't show nicely on my 'phone".........Grrrrr! Why do I bother?

GrahamS
Take my advice.  I'm not using it.Wink

Hi Graham,

Yes I know the feeling well. The current generation of 'young adults' seem to be incapable of being separated from their 'phone', by any means other than by 'surgical amputation'. Furthermore, it's a means of communication, it isn't a display module intended for gallery exhibition. If they want to see the 'Full Monty' they need to view it 'AS A PRINT' and a big print at that. If it comes up on their phone, it's an invitation to have a look at the full (proper) image.

Talking of 'Landscapes' I was saddened to hear of the passing of Michael Ritchman, the founder of the Luminous Landscape' website. Based in Canada, Michael was a very talented photographer and teacher, who had vast experience in the photographic industry. Some great images and reviews are to be had on his website which is now being run by some of his colleagues and friends.

Best regards.

Phil.

(Jul 4, 2016, 06:48)Phil J Wrote:  Hi Graham,

Talking of 'Landscapes' I was saddened to hear of the passing of Michael Ritchman, the founder of the Luminous Landscape' website. Based in Canada, Michael was a very talented photographer and teacher, who had vast experience in the photographic industry. Some great images and reviews are to be had on his website which is now being run by some of his colleagues and friends.

Best regards.

Phil.

I too was saddened by the passing of Michael Ritchman. I have been a fan of his for many years. We are fortunate that he left his website admin in the hands of his colleagues so that we may continue to enjoy it.

GrahamS

Phone users don't seem to realise that you can turn a phone sideways and use it in Landscape mode. Hence all the s**t video on news bulletins and You've Been Framed.

On the subject of "smart" 'phone users, I could start a whole new thread:
[Image: 27353273683_a595f339fc_b.jpg]
This is a social sickness! There are "selfie" addicts everywhere, spoiling the scene for other photographers, standing in dangerous places, completely inconsiderate of others. How many photos of your own grinning face does one need? Look Ma, that's me! Where am I standing? I don't remember.

GrahamS

Hoe did you get such a great sized image. Is it linked to another site?

John, this is on my Flikr photostream. I size my Flikr images 1500px x 1000px. which this site won't allow.
Go here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/grahamserretta/
which takes you to my photostream and click on any image to view it full size, or click on the "Albums" button to see images from the photostream that have been tagged in a particular album. I recommend Flikr if you need an image storage and presentation site that really works.

GrahamS

This forum site has been upgraded and I have to put many of my information again here. Hope the forum posting form will be customized well so that the images can be organized in a proper way.

(Jul 15, 2016, 03:30)shumicse Wrote:  This forum site has been upgraded and I have to put many of my information again here. Hope the forum posting form will be customized well so that the images can be organized in a proper way.
Hello shumicse,

In what way do you mean organized? Are you referring to the gallery, or within the posts?

Thanks for additional insights.

Barbara

Barbara,

The photographs in the posts are hopeless now. If you post from Photobucket or Flickr or such, it is not too bad, but if you post direct from your own computer, as I do, it no longer allows you to insert the photograph into the post. All it does is add a small thumbnail to the foot of the post. You cannot title it or, as I always did, add the technical data underneath.
You can enlarge an image by clicking on the thumbnail. This opens a separate window. However, how many people know to do this. Passing visitors probably skip past the images because they are so small.
The old platform was 10 times better than the new platform for us computer users. I doubt the new platform is 10 times better for mobile users.
I have stopped posting photographs here because of the deterioration in the images.

John.

John, it seems to me that Barbara is in a similar position to the rest of us - very aware of the failings of the web site but unable to do much about it.

It seems that the Shuttertalk Administrators lack the basics of consideration and courtesy even to inform the members of what is happening to the web site and forums, and even less to take any notice of members' concerns.

Very disappointing - well, actually quite disgraceful.

Cheers.
Philip

Philip,
I fully understand Barbara's position and I am not getting at her. She asked the question "Are you referring to the gallery, or within the posts?" and I was answering.
However, if we don't make our feelings felt here, then nothing will get done, and if nothing gets done then the only way to show our disapproval is with our feet (or in our case, mouse).
I know I am a relative newcomer to this site, but I felt I had found somewhere comfortable and respectful, where I could display my work without sniping and bitterness. I just hope the Administrators get their act together soon or it will be back to Luminous Landscapes for me.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post