Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Forums, what happened?

I agree 100% with all your comments, John, and I am not suggesting anything other than my disappointment with the administration of this site. You and I and others are all on the same side regarding the new issues we face here.

Cheers.
Philip

Sorry I've lost patience, I'll stick to photo crowd & Flickr. Maybe try again in a few weeks.

Thank you everyone for your feedback. We are definitely aware of and are working on correcting some of the issues, mainly the image (photo) size issues. We are trying to make them scale to 100% based on each persons screen size. We hope to have that issue as well as a handful of others resolved this week.

Thanks Admin, that is good news. Will there be new posting rules, size etc ?
Regards, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Hi Mike,

I expect it to be very similar to the way it was prior to the upgrade.

Brandon

Thanks Brandon. I'll try and wait patiently.
John.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Thank you Brandon, appreciated. Ed.

To each his own!

That's good news Brandon. Thanks very much for listening to us, this is greatly appreciated.

Best regards.

Phil.

(Jul 19, 2016, 16:36)admin Wrote:  Thank you everyone for your feedback. We are definitely aware of and are working on correcting some of the issues, mainly the image (photo) size issues. We are trying to make them scale to 100% based on each persons screen size. We hope to have that issue as well as a handful of others resolved this week.

Thank you for the update info on the forum issues, Brandon.

The replies above indicate how fortunate you are to have such tolerant and loyal members here, but I must honestly admit that I have been more than disappointed by the lack of communication from you during the site upgrading process.

It is to be hoped that you will reciprocate their courtesy by posting more regular updates of progress in the near future. It costs nothing but a couple of minutes of your time, and at least once per week would not be an unreasonable request.

Cheers.
Philip

You are right Philip. I took criticism as something good. It's shows how much people care about the site and how passionate they are.

Thanks to everyone for your patience.

We have made some changes to image uploads. The next time you post an image, whether by an image link or an attachment, the image should expand to use 100% of the post window width. Let me know how it goes.

Thanks,
Brandon

Well I will give it a try. Old shot from 2012 in my early days using a Nikon P500. Exported from Lightroom CC with a Long Edge ( Vertical ) of 1500px and file size limited to 1024kb.
1/100 @ f/3.4 ISO 160, 23mm equivalent.
[attachment=6531]

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

Brandon.
What I would ask, if it is feasible, is to include images posted from Shuttertalk (uploads), in the text, instead of as Thumbnails (even big Thumbnails). That way we can add technical information below the image, as we used to be able to do on the old platform

Looming good Mike, all round! Ed.

To each his own!

Hi Jocko,

I disabled thumbnails so any image uploaded via Shuttertalk will be presented full size now. Full size being 100% of the width of the post window. Let me know if I am misunderstanding your post, or if that change addressed your post.

Thanks,
Brandon

Hi Brandon

Mike's picture above (and Jocko's, on his latest "Fife Coast" post) both expand to beyond the right hand side of my screen and there's no scroll bar, or way of me seeing the right-hand side of the image. It looks like it's expanding to beyond 100% of the window. Mike's text above his image also disappears off the right hand side, too.

If I make my window smaller Mike's image and text remain the same size as they are now - thus I'm seeing less of them. So it doesn't appear (to me) that the image is scaling at 100% of the window, but to some other sizing factor.

I do get vertical scrolling bars appear here, and on other sites vertical and horizontal (just don't get the latter here) so my scroll bars aren't turned off.

Hope that's useful info.

Edit - a little more info is on the "Fife Coast" thread. That might help too :-)

Regards
Derek

(Jul 21, 2016, 17:33)admin Wrote:  Hi Jocko,

I disabled thumbnails so any image uploaded via Shuttertalk will be presented full size now. Full size being 100% of the width of the post window. Let me know if I am misunderstanding your post, or if that change addressed your post.

Thanks,
Brandon

The images, uploaded to Shuttertalk from my computer (as against linked to a URL) are attached to the post as an Attachment. They used to be Embedded, so you could add text after, and indeed between, images in a post. That is a touch I liked.
Also, is it me or can I no longer Format text in a post?

It is my experience that all the issues described above (and in other threads) relate only to this web site, so they need to be addressed during the upgrading process:-
Larger size images extend beyond the right of the screen:-
There is no horizontal scroll bar to enable view of the RHS.
It is necessary to zoom the browser to below 80% to see a complete image.
If the image is clicked, the full image no longer appears in a separate window.
Images uploaded to the site cannot be embedded within the text:-
The uploaded images appear below all the text in a group entitled Attached Files.
Text can no longer be formatted:-
There are no buttons for Bold, Italic, etc.
The Smilies icons don't appear to work.

Cheers.
Philip

Testing bold
Testing Italic
Testing Underline
Big Grin

Mr B, Jocko: How are the images now?

Can you see the text formatting now?

If no to either...what browser are you using?

Thanks,
Brandon

Hello Brandon.

Sorry to report - no luck yet!

My railway images are still not re-scaling (downwards) to fit the screen, so they are running off the right hand side, and there are no scroll bars to shift the image to the left.

Although I can see that you have successfully created formatted text in your test, when I click "New Reply" there is nothing visible there to click on to make bold, italic or underlined text in the message box on my screen, and the Smilies don't yet work.

I am currently using the latest version of Opera, the browser which I have used for at least the last decade.

Cheers.
Philip

No change with me either. Image still added as an attachment. There is no formatting either.
I use Google Chrome on Windows 10 laptop.

Trying Microsoft Edge and it is exactly the same.

Brandon

No change for me, either. But one "clue" that may help. If I change the layout back to "default" (many of us have chosen to revert to the original "Apart Twilight" then the photographs do resize to 100% of the window. You can then click on the bar and get them to jump to 100% of image size if reqd.

However, once you've done the latter (looked at an image at 100% of image size) I can find no way to get it back to 100% of window size. Nevertheless, it might be that you're making all your changes to a different layout profile to the one we're all using.

There are still no <B>formatting</B> options appearing. And the Smilies aren't working yet either.

Regards
Derek

(Jul 22, 2016, 16:24)admin Wrote:  Testing bold
Testing Italic
Testing Underline
Big Grin

Hi Brandon,

The text formatting is fine with me now, but the images posted are as John & Philip report. They're 'blooming huge' and fall off the right hand edge of the screen. I have however, great confidence that you and your team will sort out all of the remaining minor problems, as it is getting better on an almost daily basis.

I'm something of a luddite I guess, as I'm using Windows7 (can't stick 10 at any price) and Firefox. However, you see, all the drivers I have installed with this setup work perfectly, which is why I haven't changed to No10.

Best regards.

Phil.

Phil, belt and braces!! best of both worlds. Upgrade from 7 to 10, and when installed,use this tool.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software...ndows10ISO to make a copy.

This prog will show you the Key, and a whole lot more, just in case, more insurance. Note the Key,

http://www.belarc.com/free_download.html

Go back to 7. Anytime you want to upgrade to 10, same computer, the Disc you made will, do so, and activate the free licence.

I still use XP Pro, but have 10 on 4 Computers. If the interface of 10 was one of your reasons, I use this, free

http://www.classicshell.net/ highly tuneable, to make 10 look like XP or 7. here is my 10 desktop, look familiar! nothing to loose. 6 days to go!!

Cheers. Ed

To each his own!

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post