Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Forums, what happened?

I'm still working on the image size issue. It's a little tough for me to test as it all looks good on IE, FF and Chrome. I am on Win 7 too. I will make more tweaks and do some more tests. Thank you for replying back with your findings.

If you are running Windows (not Mac), try holding the Shift key down on your keyboard and clicking the Refresh button on your browser. Let me know if that fixes anything.

My current findings...

Looking at WD Hewson's Mississippi image in the competition thread:

In IE 11 (which is my browser of choice on Windows 10) the image disappears off the right hand side of the screen. There is no horizontal scroll bar. In the bar at the bottom of the image it states image has been scaled down 30% - but it's still too big. If I click on the image it grows to it's original size which is obviously even bigger. Another click and it goes back to the 30% reduction size (still too big). It says if I click on the image it will open in a new window - but it doesn't.

In Chrome I can see the whole image - it only fills about half the width of my screen, so I guess it's at about 30% of the original size. There are no options to click on it to make it bigger.

In Microsoft Edge it's the same as Chrome.

Regards
Derek

(Jul 25, 2016, 12:41)admin Wrote:  If you are running Windows (not Mac), try holding the Shift key down on your keyboard and clicking the Refresh button on your browser. Let me know if that fixes anything.
All this does for me is sends me back to the top of the thread.

What I have found is, if I set the browser to 90% Zoom (Chrome on a Windows 10 system), then the images fit on screen. Clicking on image does not open a new window.

Ask yourself, "What's most important for the final image?".

Same settings John, Chrome/XP, 90%. Ed

To each his own!

(Jul 26, 2016, 07:18)Jocko Wrote:  Clicking on image does not open a new window.

John, the following method works for me in the Opera Browser, so see if you can use it in yours - right-click on an image and then, if you get the option in the pop-up menu, select "Open image in new tab"; left-clicking on the new copy of the image toggles between filling the browser window and full-size (if it's dimensions are bigger than the window) complete with scroll bars.

Cheers.
Philip

(Jul 26, 2016, 12:11)MrB Wrote:  John, the following method works for me in the Opera Browser, so see if you can use it in yours - right-click on an image and then, if you get the option in the pop-up menu, select "Open image in new tab"; left-clicking on the new copy of the image toggles between filling the browser window and full-size (if it's dimensions are bigger than the window) complete with scroll bars.

Cheers.
Philip

That works in Chrome as well.

It's pretty much unusable for me now. Because everyone is posting large images (I'm not complaining - it's great to be able to see all the detail) all I'm getting is the left hand side.

I'll keep an eye on things but I'm not being rude or ignoring the great railway and aircraft photos - but without using a different browser or copying the images and opening them in PS I just can't see them all. I stopped visiting the Amateur Photographic site because that stopped working with my browser and the answer from the guys there was "use another browser, then!". Kind of reminded me of the Tommy Cooper joke, "Doctor it hurts when I do this." "Well don't do it then!" It's fair enough, but when there are plenty of sites that do work for me, my inclination is to go to those instead.

Anyway, I'm still here and I'll still post - just don't think me rude if I don't comment on pictures I can only partially see.

Cheers
Derek

Derek, have you tried the method in Post #56? It works in at least two browsers.

Cheers.
Philip

(Jul 26, 2016, 13:01)delb0y Wrote:  everyone is posting large images

I am posting the same size images I always did. They are just being displayed so much bigger now. I always size my images for a vertical height of 900 pixels.

Exactly, Jocko. I didn't say larger - just large. It used to be fine.

Philip, the option to open in a new tab is greyed out for me. Only on Shuttertalk, I hasten to add!

Making some more tweaks now to try and resolve the image issue. Thank you to everyone for the feedback and your patience.

Thanks for keeping us up to date, appreciated. Ed.

To each his own!

Today, I notice that all the photos posted as attachments now appear as much smaller "thumbnail" images in the attachment list below the post. In the Opera Browser window (with the browser zoom set at its normal 100%) they are about a quarter of the screen width. However, when clicked on, they do open properly to fill a new browser window, and another click magnifies them to their full size with scroll bars to move around.

Cheers.
Philip

Same result here. Windows 10 + Edge.
Cheers, Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

It's back to what it was doing a month ago. Rubbish. It opens in a new window, but how many passersby know to click on it. All the second click does is magnify it. Tall images have to be scrolled in the second window (see Raptor).
There was sod all wrong with the old platform. Why f***ing change it?
Sorry guys. I am out of here. I'll look back later in the years to see if there is any change.

Hi there. I have loaded the forum in Safari, Chrome, F.Fox and Opera and can confirm it reacts as I would expect. No problems with clicking on the thumbnail to access the enlarged image and navigating accordingly. Much better than having a huge capture filling the whole screen as we had a couple of days ago. Guessing it's hard to please everyone at the same time but no complaints from me.......

Brandon emailed and asked me to check out the images sizes now, so I posted this one of Lily to check sizing out. I must say I am very pleased with the result. It fills my screen perfectly. All we need now is the image "Insert Into Post", so we can type after and between images. And formatting of text too. I miss that.

(Aug 2, 2016, 12:18)Jocko Wrote:  Brandon emailed and asked me to check out the images sizes now, so I posted this one of Lily to check sizing out. I must say I am very pleased with the result. It fills my screen perfectly. All we need now is the image "Insert Into Post", so we can type after and between images. And formatting of text too. I miss that.
Fits my screen fine, oh that's a definite ah picture. Well done.
Derek.

Looks like a mighty large bowl of food for a little cat. Glad to see that you are still with us John. To me the shot is superb.
Cheers,
Mike.

" Your first 10,000 photographs are your worst "
Henri Cartier - Bresson.

(Aug 2, 2016, 13:04)Browser Mike Wrote:  Looks like a mighty large bowl of food for a little cat.
I grow grass (no, not that kind) which the cats love to eat. What you see is a dish of vermiculite with some fresh shoots of oat grass.

Looking good ,all round! Ed.

To each his own!

I am going to be working on those items to. Font, colors, etc. I want to make it look as close to the old layout as possible.

Thanks for everyones feedback.

Hi,

I see we have reverted to the ridiculously large images which do not fit onto a 100% Opera page. Text is also lost on the RHS.

If this is what the majority of members want, that's fine, I am nothing if not democratic !

It would however have been nice to choose which images to view at max. size instead of pushing everything (good bad and ugly) onto the screen. But I am but one voice and so willingly accept the views of the MAJORITY.

(Aug 3, 2016, 01:34)Pandylou Wrote:  Hi,

I see we have reverted to the ridiculously large images which do not fit onto a 100% Opera page. Text is also lost on the RHS.

If this is what the majority of members want, that's fine, I am nothing if not democratic !

It would however have been nice to choose which images to view at max. size instead of pushing everything (good bad and ugly) onto the screen. But I am but one voice and so willingly accept the views of the MAJORITY.

You are not alone! I am also using the Opera Browser and what you describe is exactly what I now see on my screen. I have to reduce the Browser's zoom down to 75% to see the images, at which size the text is too small for comfortable reading Sad

Philip

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post