Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Four Seasons in One Day (FD 50mm f/1.4 on GF1)

I'm currently stuck working 9-5 in the office for the next few weeks. :/ Because of this I try to get out of the office and go somewhere or do something every lunchtime. This has given me a good excuse to play with the GF1.

Here are four shots I took yesterday at a nearby lake (Perry Lakes), each given a slightly different treatment in Lightroom. They were taken with a Canon FD 50mm f/1.4 mounted to a Lumix GF1.

[Image: 916342767_8mk7k-L.jpg]

[Image: 916440267_HiC5i-L.jpg]
2. Shame about the ugly Bokeh here :/

[Image: 916342381_7aSfR-L.jpg]

[Image: 916341886_Zvfsg-L.jpg]

It feels great for me to slow down a bit, be a bit more contemplative, and walk out the door with no brief, just to shoot something, anything. These photos aren't fantastic in themselves, but it's been quite a while since I've just gone exploring like this. And I miss it.

Yesterday I took a FD 50mm for a spin on the GF1 for these photos, today I plan to take out a EF 135mm f/2L instead. Smile
I'm really having much more fun with primes on this camera than the 14-140mm zoom.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Excellent to see this sort of experimentation. Very inspiring.

Thanks Toad.

I took the EF 135mm out as promised. Unfortunately the EOS mount lenses don't allow for aperture adjustments on an MFT camera so I was limited to an f/2 aperture.
Regardless, it was still a joy to use and the shallow DOF provided good manual focussing practice for me. And the IQ is pretty good too...

[Image: 918822729_tFHBJ-L.jpg]
1. Click Here to see a full-res version.

[Image: 918821889_FxiiS-L.jpg]
2. Click Here for a full-res version of this shot.

[Image: 918821102_96uqQ-L.jpg]
3. Click Here to see the full-res version of this photo.

Adrian Broughton

Nice DOF on these. I am looking forward to receiving my Nikon adapter - so that I can experiment with some of my Nikon glass as well. Fortunately, the adapter I ordered does support aperture control (via the lens - not via the camera body) - so my G lenses should be usable as well.

Its funny how we all feel that manual focus is barely acceptable these days. The first 10 years or so that I took photos seriously, that's all there was...

I'm really loving these results - great colours and selective DOF.

Kombisaurus Wrote:I'm really having much more fun with primes on this camera than the 14-140mm zoom.
...and this is me not saying a word. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

matthew Wrote:
Kombisaurus Wrote:I'm really having much more fun with primes on this camera than the 14-140mm zoom.
...and this is me not saying a word. Big Grin
Very restrained of you...I haven't ruled out buying the 14-140 by any means - but I have decided to play with my existing lenses using the adapter for a while until I see what holes in my system really need filling.

lol about the "not saying a word" Matthew. Big Grin
Despite my preference for primes, I still feel naked shooting without a zoom handy, even if I don't use it. It's like the daggy old warm jumper that my mum would insist I took with me when I went to play outside as a kid. I'd never want to wear it but it was always there just in case... (sometimes I'd really appreciate it).

Toad, I'll be interested to hear how you find using legacy lenses with a MFT adaptor.
Apart from the fun I'm having playing with these lenses on the GF1, it's also inspired me to repair Mum's old Canon AE-1 Program camera so I can run some "full-frame" film past these FD lenses to use them as they were originally intended. Tongue

Adrian Broughton

Kombisaurus Wrote:Apart from the fun I'm having playing with these lenses on the GF1, it's also inspired me to repair Mum's old Canon AE-1 Program camera so I can run some "full-frame" film past these FD lenses to use them as they were originally intended. Tongue
Isn't it funny where inspiration can come from? I hope my adapter comes soon...this looks like fun.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post