Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Four-Thirds rocks at PMA

Anybody looking for a DSLR with 7.5 megapixel resolution, a dust-free sensor, live LCD framing (with an optical viewfinder) and a Leica image-stabilized lens? Would you like a shutter speed dial and a aperture ring with it, too? Meet the Panasonic L1 and Leica D 14-50 f2.8-3.5.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/060226...cdmcl1.asp
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/060226...4-50mm.asp

The Leica lens is interchangeable with all 4/3 bodies, and Olympus has confirmed that the anti-shake feature is compatible, too.

Sigma has also announced FIVE additional lenses for the 4/3 mount:

30mm F1.4 EX DC HSM
18-50mm F2.8 EX DC
MACRO 105mm F2.8 EX DG
APO MACRO 150mm F2.8 EX DG HSM
APO 50-500mm F4-6.3 EX DG HSM

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/060226...a43rds.asp

Woo-Hoo!

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Yeah I saw that stuff appear on DPReview and instantly knew you'd be happy Matthew! Big Grin

But we should all be happy. Happy that one of the few true alternative systems is getting more backing rather than being marginalised. More competition is better for all of us, and as far as I can see the 4/3 system is an excellent one.
But no matter how good, I think the long-term success of the system has always been on slightly shaky ground due to limited support and market share (remember Beta video?). Announcements like this at PMA will go a long way in boosting confidence in both consumers and the companies involved.
Leica, Panasonic and Sigma all jumping on board could really help push the 4/3 system in as a real player in the "Canon vs Nikon" wars, or at least cement it as a system that will be around for many years to come.
hmmm... and I wonder what Sony has up its sleeve with its takeover of KM. They certainly have the muscle to turn themselves into another big DSLR player if they thought it was worth their while.
The next year or two will be a very interesting time in the industry I think.

Oh, and the actual new 4/3 gear that was announced also looks very interesting too! Not 100% sure about the manual shutter and aperture dials though - I can understand how some film buffs might like them for nostalgia and feel-good reasons, but when I'm composing a shot I don't want to have to look away from the viewfinder to set the aperture and shutter speed. Still, I don't know how it works yet so I might be speaking too soon.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Hey cool news, Matthew. It's good to see support being shown towards an alternative system... with manufacturers disappearing left and right, it's good to see the competition stepping up. At least it's not some kind of hype that never saw the light of day (aka foveon sensors)...

I'm very happy. It is really invigorating to see someone (or several someones) being willing to challenge Canon and Nikon. If nothing else, it will make all three players (C, N, 4/3) better and more innovative. I'm also tempted to point out that Pentax is shifting its focus to digital-specific designs...

The sigma additions look like they'll offer a better price for slightly lower performance than Olympus's own Zuiko Digital family. It's a nice compliment to the system, and fills some holes. Personally, I've gone from not being able to justify the expense of three lenses to five. :/

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Hey, dpreview has a brief hands on with the Panny L1
http://www.dpreview.com/news/0602/060228...andson.asp

Quote:As it turns out while the DMC-L1 shares some components with the E-330 it is going to be very much a Panasonic camera with their own 'backend' image processing, features and user interface. The only components shared between the E-330 and the DMC-L1 are the lens mount, mirror box, viewfinder assembly (which also includes the AE and AF sensors, see below), SSWF (dust filter) and of course the 'Live MOS' sensor which is a Panasonic component (developed in conjunction with Olympus).
There are some cool picces there too - hey check out the onboard flash unit! It appears to me like it can be used in different configurations - pointing up to bounce? What a great idea... I wonder why no one else has thought of it/implemented it before?

Thanks for the link. I've always had a soft spot for the 'old-school' Leica-esque cameras that Panasonic makes. And I'm already trying to imagine how that bad-boy 14-50 IS lens will look on my E-1. The tilting flash, incidentally, is shared by the Panasonic LC-1, a ridiculously over-priced 5MP camera that I still regret not buying. It also had the shutter speed dial and aperture ring on its (fixed) lens. It wasn't quite as retro as the Epson RD-1, but close.

I wonder if the history of double-badging Panasonic and Leica will give us Leica's first DSLR...

Maybe, or maybe for now "play safe" with the R module-thingy?
Tangentially, I confess I did have rush of blood to the head the other day and wondered what'd happen if I got a converter so I could use Leica wideys on my Canon body. As I was dribbling away to myself, I got up to an imaginary budget of over 2 grand sterling for the old Distagon, then slapped myself around the head.

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

For people who already have a Leica fSLR camera, the R-modul would be the way to go. I'm sure it's not that expensive...

I did briefly toy with the idea of an RD-1 with leica lenses. Those lenses make the camera's introductory price look reasonable. I'm seriously worried about how the new 4/3 14-50 IS lens will be priced; it does have the L-Word on the front so it may not be priced in this galaxy. But, if the aperture ring works on my E-1, I may have no choice.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post