Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Whoo .. Go the cannons

Thought i'd just do an initial post in the canon section.

All you canon users out there.
Drop in and say hello.
And tell us more about your cameras.

ps ... oops ... spelt canon wrong in the topic ~_~
not suprising coming from me hey ?

I was going to correct it for you, but realised that I can't Smile

hehe, I ahve a Canon scanner (FB 310 to be precise) And Printer ( BJC - 265SP) and my dad has (which I use use mostly) has a Canon i455, does this permit me to be here =P?

Gear:
3 x GoPro Cameras
1 x Canon S100
1 x Nikon D5100
1 x Sony DSC-TX10
Apple MacBook Pro 15" (Retina Display)

"What do you want to pack today?"

HOWDY! Go the 300D's!

*hijacks thread to a show-off thread: what canon goods do you own?*
haha
What canon things do I have Smile
Canon scanner (N1240U to be precise) and printers (BJC-600, S400 - both which I don't use anymore)
Canon Camera (300D + kit lens + another lens)
A camera bag?

And refering to this topic, answering your question Peter, to tell things about my camera, well, it's quite similar to yours...

Hey adam...

I've got a Canon EOS 300 (film camera), and a Canon LiDE 20 scanner. Big Grin

i got the Lide 2.0
eos 300
eos 300D
canon AV-1

and a canon to shoot people ..

I just use the Canon A70. But I added a viewer hood (held on with string loops and an elastic band) and aux lenses (mostly a 21 mm equiv). I love it but long for something better.

--Don

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

haha cool... another canoner (if there such a word ~_~?)

I'm a Canonite. My first film camera was an Exakta 500 with a Zeiss (Jena) 50mm 1.2 lens. Great camera.

Then I lent it out twice and it came back broken twice. No more parts.

Then it was a Canon FTBN, An AE-1, AE-1P, EOS 650s ( a bunch of them for wedding work), then a 10D, and now a 50D.

I own several lenses. My 60mm macro and 10D replaced my 35mm cameras and supplanted most of my use for 4x5 film because agencies that wanted 4x5 transparencies gladly accepted 6.5 megapixel files, and were none the wiser. Most of my commercial work was and still is small product for catalog and glossy magazine publication.

I liked and STILL like my 10D. I had a few problems with it at first, but I overcame them. Then i jumped up to a 50D. I'm not too impressed with its performance past ISO 320. The noise becomes unbearable past that. I went through THREE 50Ds before I found one which was compatible with my Vista Premium Home Garbage.

I have been trying (in vain) to make my Canon 70-300mm IS produce acceptably sharp images. Even with the 50D's microadjustment, I can't make it produce acceptably sharp images. The lens is going back to the retailer this week.

With the exception of my Sigma 17-70mm, all of my DSLR lenses are Canons.

I own no Canon flashes. If I need to spend $500.00 or more for a light source, it'll be a down payment on a good studio light. I have nothing against OEM whiz bang flashes. When I was starting out, the Vivitar 285 and secondary manufacturers' flashes worked just as well. I DO have a Sigma DGST that interfaces quite well with my digitals, as well as a herd various Vivitars.

I can see where Canon is headed with their product marketing now:

A. the Point-and-shoot market

B. the "prosumer" bodies and EF-S lenses (small capture chip --- APS-C)

C Mark Roman Numeral cameras and the full-size sensor Cameras with standard EF lenses which cover a 35mm chip.

D the G series Powershots (the G11 is an interesting breed that will shoot raw)

A, B, C, and D could all take a lateral or forward step toward the Powershot for obvious reasons. Most, however, will stay in the category in which they started unless they want to take considerable financial investment to upgrade. I think that the smart photogs who are now shooting prosumer cameras are buying the EF lenses in the belief that the full-frame sensor will soon become much less expensive, and (possibly) the norm for DSLR. Those who bought into the EF-s lenses will probably remain with the prosumer APS-C size sensor and will be left out in the cold when that sensor is no longer made for DSLR. (This is a likely scenario. Anyone who has owned FL lenses and then had to switch to an FD system will realize that Canon (unlike Nikon) feels no compunction about changing horses anywhere in the stream.

Interesting observations BD - I think you may be right with regards to full frame, but only because they are recognising and catering towards those who have cash to spend and want the ultimate in image quality. The problem with FF is the size of the sensor and as a direct result, the corresponding size of the body and lenses.

I think the sheer size is a barrier, and until they can overcome that through advancement in technology, it will be a stumbling block for the masses. For myself, I just recently purchased a Canon 7D and it's very interesting to see the reaction of others when I hand it to them - it's HUGE! There is certainly a demand for smaller - see the four-thirds movement for example. Perhaps one day sensor technology will be so greatly improved that sensor size will become irrelevant and/or inconsequential.

Another thing I think they are trying to do is to narrow the gap and learning curve between prosumer cameras and entry level SLRs. It's now less intimidating, and a logical upgrade - even trendy these days to have own a DSLR.

Nice analysis, Bloo. I look forward to reading more of your thoughts...

Hello.

I was a owner of a Canon PowerShot Pro 1 until last month when it was stollen... Sad
It had a big lag time, but I had a great experience with it, I loved the LCD that you could move... I was very used to it and I had great pictures with it.
Is there any other Canon camera similar to that model?

The Pro 1 was a very good camera in its day. Its modern equivalent would be the Canon G11.

Ok. I will see that one. There are so many models that it's very difficult to an amateur to choose...

My parents have a Canon EOS 400D, I used it but - can't say why - but I don't like it... It's quicker, but I prefered my old sluggish one Smile
So, I gave them back the 400D and they gave me back my PowerShot Pro1 Smile))

I use a G9 some times, and I like it... G11 has much more features ... You might like to go to a shop where you can try it.

Welcome to shuttertalk btw... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Canon... I am a user of Canon too. I love my camera but I am not a professional photographer, I just try to learn and to get some nice shots!

Nice to meet you, welcome to Shuttertalk and thank you Peter for this topic, I haven't seen this before. Smile

Have a nice and enjoyable days with your camera,
with my love,
nia

“There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs.”

Ansel Adams

Hey there, Canon 50D user here, but hopefully soon thats a Canon 5D user Big Grin

My wife is doing great with G11 - really fast progress. Good camera, I think.

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

oh wow.. i havent been on st for like over a year or 2 lol .. looks like this thread is back up .. mm yeah .. full frame is great.. happy with the 5D mkII ..

ive got the S90 and thats quite nice if you want a smaller form factor than the G11