Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

background effect

Would like help in shooting pictures and getting a black background naturally .I've seen this with mostly pics. of flowers. thanks for any help

I don't know how you could achieve the black background naturally, apart from using a low f-stop and placing something black behind the flower. I found this that could explain more: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Take-Pict...Background

(Feb 19, 2014, 13:58)kNox Wrote:  I don't know how you could achieve the black background naturally, apart from using a low f-stop and placing something black behind the flower. I found this that could explain more: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Take-Pict...Background

If you use a speedlite to overpower the background, you can *sometimes* darken the background to black. But the usual thing is to put/hang a black cloth behind the flower.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

Any specific type of Pic, or all. Ed.

To each his own!

(Feb 19, 2014, 13:58)kNox Wrote:  I don't know how you could achieve the black background naturally, apart from using a low f-stop and placing something black behind the flower. I found this that could explain more: http://hubpages.com/hub/How-to-Take-Pict...Background
thanks for your reply, i kind of thought so

Sometimes, albeit rarely, I have been successful by increasing the contrast in post processing. I usually try this first. If it doesn't work, then a 1-click undo will put me back to the start.

(Feb 20, 2014, 08:24)dalematt Wrote:  Sometimes, albeit rarely, I have been successful by increasing the contrast in post processing. I usually try this first. If it doesn't work, then a 1-click undo will put me back to the start.
thanks for the help

(Feb 19, 2014, 13:36)bernie bowers Wrote:  Would like help in shooting pictures and getting a black background naturally .I've seen this with mostly pics. of flowers. thanks for any help
Hi, is this what you mean?
I used a Cannon 60d with a 55-250 lens set at focal length of 250mm aperture F5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/180 sec
Norfolk Mike

(Feb 24, 2014, 06:00)NorfolkMike Wrote:  
(Feb 19, 2014, 13:36)bernie bowers Wrote:  Would like help in shooting pictures and getting a black background naturally .I've seen this with mostly pics. of flowers. thanks for any help
I used a Cannon 60d with a 55-250 lens set at focal length of 250mm aperture F5.6 with a shutter speed of 1/180 sec
Norfolk Mike

Sorry the image was to large so hopefully will now show
Norfolk Mike

Using shallow lighting is one way to get a dark background without using a backdrop.

The image of a Starting coming into land is taken in subdued daylight at f16 100 iso and with a flash.

Photo on home page at

http://www.art-seekers.com

If the light to subject and light to background are reasonably different then you will get the subject lit and a dark background. In the image of the Starling you can just make out the hedge in the background but it is fairly dark.

For this to work the exposure on the background needs to be low in comparison to the subject. Here even though the hedge was in daylight (overcast day) it still looks very dark.

Regards

Mike

You can view a few of my images including some actions shots at

http://www.art-seekers.com

thank's everyone for your help,i'll try the ideas i received thank's again

(Feb 24, 2014, 06:12)NorfolkMike Wrote:  
Norfolk Mike

Norfolk Mike

(Feb 25, 2014, 12:46)bernie bowers Wrote:  
(Feb 24, 2014, 06:12)NorfolkMike Wrote:  
Norfolk Mike

Norfolk Mike
Just wondering what was the actual background of the photo?

a2zidxdotcom gave you a good advice.

Here's some more tips, for indoor shooting:

You need ambient with low light (using a tripod will make things easier). Your ISO should be set to not higher than 200, and you should use manual exposure mode. Set the shutter speed to somewhere around 1/200 and aperture small, try with f/18 for start.

After this, it's all about testing until you get the right results - shoot and move aperture and shutter speed up/down until you're satisfied. You should be fine somewhere between 1/125-1/250 and f/11-f/22.

Once you have the best possible results, that means the brightest as possible subject and darkest and possible background, in case your subject is over/under exposed, use flash to fix that. You should manipulate light on the subject, so try with different flash settings, like, move closer, go further away from the subject, try different angle to catch some natural light, change your flash power if possible etc. Just don't touch your camera exposure settings as you'll be back on bright background again.

(Mar 3, 2014, 17:27)Korry Wrote:  

a2zidxdotcom gave you a good advice.

Here's some more tips, for indoor shooting:

You need ambient with low light (using a tripod will make things easier). Your ISO should be set to not higher than 200, and you should use manual exposure mode. Set the shutter speed to somewhere around 1/200 and aperture small, try with f/18 for start.

After this, it's all about testing until you get the right results - shoot and move aperture and shutter speed up/down until you're satisfied. You should be fine somewhere between 1/125-1/250 and f/11-f/22.

Once you have the best possible results, that means the brightest as possible subject and darkest and possible background, in case your subject is over/under exposed, use flash to fix that. You should manipulate light on the subject, so try with different flash settings, like, move closer, go further away from the subject, try different angle to catch some natural light, change your flash power if possible etc. Just don't touch your camera exposure settings as you'll be back on bright background again.
thank you for helping i'll give it a try

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by jogesh12345
Jul 31, 2019, 02:35
Last Post by Quornish Colin
May 27, 2015, 11:24