Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fret Buzz

I only just started noticing this... maybe I was too in love with my Fender and was blinded by love Big Grin

My high E string seem to buzz on the 2nd and 5th frets. Not noticable when playing chords, but very noticable when you just play the one string.

How does one go about fixing it? Can one like shift the string higher ever so slightly so that it doesn't buzz?

Could be a lot of things.

First just try replacing the string. My low E was buzzing even after I had the guitar set up by a luthier. He replaced the string and the problem was solved. He said sometimes there are flaws in the string that make it vibrate unevenly and that can cause the buzz, but it seems more common with the lower strings.

Failing that, you might need to adjust the neck relief by making a truss rod adjustment. This gets a little scary, but do it in small increments (1/4 turns). If the problem is at the 2nd fret, I'd think you'd need more relief, though I've read that buzzing between 5th and 7th can mean you have too much relief.

Also you can raise the action (string height from the neck) by turning the screws on the bridge. My action is actually set higher than factory spec because if I set it any lower I get buzzing.

After all this you'll need to retune and adjust intonation... sometimes it's worth the $25 just to take it to the shop. Smile

Eek, maybe I'll just try to adjust the action slightly... :/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by de_axeman
Apr 4, 2005, 20:37
Last Post by de_axeman
Jul 27, 2004, 16:13