Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fuji Advice please

Can members give me some comments on the Fuji x30 ?

I need a reasonably light-weight and compact quality camera, and have used Fuji equipment for some years now, so am really only looking in the Fuji range, ans especially the x30 for its liveview screen.

Dan

(Aug 29, 2015, 07:36)danmdan Wrote:  Can members give me some comments on the Fuji x30 ?

I need a reasonably light-weight and compact quality camera, and have used Fuji equipment for some years now, so am really only looking in the Fuji range, ans especially the x30 for its liveview screen.

Dan

Hi Dan,

I bought the X30 earlier this year, after lots of research into compact cameras. Once I got used to the menu system, I really started to enjoy this camera, and have definitely taken more photos as a result. The chip may be small, but the results are so good, I only shoot jpegs, and they can be enlarged to fill a screen, without loss of detail. The camera is light and portable, though I am getting a case for it, as it can be very small and light to grip and hold.
The film simulation effects are interesting, and easy to apply, though the standard one used by default produces a nice effect, especially on stonework, or in monochrome. The zoom range on the lens is adequate for most uses, though 24 mm would have been nice as a wider option. Image stabilisation is very good, and it is nice to have physical dials for aperture values and exposure compensation, as well as a manual zoom ring.
I have not used the screen at the back at all for composition, though it is tiltable for low-angle shots. The EVF is a joy, and one of the main reasons I bought this model. It does all I need, at an amazingly low price.
Negatives?
Only f11 as the smallest aperture. (And the largest aperture is only available at 28 mm)
Auto ISO will tend to choose 800 as a default.
Instruction manual is almost useless, whether paper, or online. It is not at all intuitive, or user-friendly, and I turned to forums like this one, to get help.
Battery must be charged through the camera, unless you buy an after-market charger.
Lens cap cannot be secured, so has to be put in a pocket, or bag.
But they are small niggles with what is a very good camera, for a ridiculously low price, if you shop around.
Regards, Pete.

(Aug 31, 2015, 06:21)beetleypete Wrote:  
(Aug 29, 2015, 07:36)danmdan Wrote:  Can members give me some comments on the Fuji x30 ?

Dan

Hi Dan,

I bought the X30 earlier this year, after lots of research into compact cameras. Once I got used to the menu system, I really started to enjoy this camera, and have definitely taken more photos as a result. The chip may be small, but the results are so good, I only shoot jpegs, and they can be enlarged to fill a screen, without loss of detail.
I have not used the screen at the back at all for composition, though it is tiltable for low-angle shots. The EVF is a joy, and one of the main reasons I bought this model. It does all I need, at an amazingly low price.

Regards, Pete.

Many thanks for an excellent opinion - anyone else like to add to my knowledge ?

Dan

i haven't used it, i decided to get the x100t instead of the x30 due to the external controls. the zoom wasn't as important to me because i already owned the x-t1 and zoom lenses. if i didn't have those i probably would have opted for the x30 for the zoom. i shoot raw, but fuji's sooc jpgs are amazing.

I bought the X30 in May after looking for several years for a camera with a viewfinder and a flip up screen at a price that I wanted to pay.
I have been very happy so far. The focus is very fast and accurate.
Exposure is usually ok, sometimes needing a slight tweet in software.
A full flip out screen would have been better but it's better than being fixed.
The film effects don't do much for me, but that's my personal view.
So, I would recommend this camera to anyone. Many reviews have complained about the small sensor and recommended much more expensive cameras. If I had the money I would have considered other options, but may still have purchased the X30.
As others have said, it is a fun camera to use. I remember cameras from the 60s and 70s that handled in a very similar way so it suits me.
Cheers Mac

Hi dan

Like the others who have replied, I did a fair bit of reading about the X30 before buying one from a London online store for £290. I was a little biased, as I'd owned an X20 for a year, but didn't think it was worth the upgrade. Wrong!
The EVF makes all the difference. Being able to see the image in monochrome or using a colour filter makes a massive difference. The new Chrome setting increases contrast and gives a fantastic retro feel.
When on holiday with the kids, there's little time and no sympathy for Dad to take the bigger CSC gear with all its lenses, but I didn't want to compromise on quality - the X30 does the job.
Negatives?
Maximum exposure time 30s, no bulb setting. And it's only available at 100ASA. That didn't stop me taking awesome thunderstorm images..
If you crop, then blow up the crop, you lose definition in the Jpeg, as you would expect, but this is grainier than my Olympus. Probably not an issue in RAW, though I've never looked.
RAW is Fuji's own thing, and not compatible with all software.
At this price, it blows everything else into the weeds. The EVF is fabulous, making a compact camera a go-everywhere . Get one and enjoy.

(Sep 14, 2015, 06:22)rubybuddah Wrote:  RAW is Fuji's own thing, and not compatible with all software.

it it's the .raf file like the rest of the fuji cameras then it works great with lightroom (which i use) and with capture1, though i don't use that software.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Apr 9, 2017, 04:26
Last Post by danmdan
Apr 23, 2015, 04:40