Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Fuji X10 to get new sensor to fix white orbs

I've been following the X10 pretty closely, as I am intending on buying one, but one of the major gripes people have been complaining about is the white orbs. These solid white circles appear when there are bright sources of light e.g. headlights or streetlights at night, reflections off water even during the day.

Fuji released a supposed firmware fix last month but the phenomenon is still occurring.

In an interesting turn of events, Fuji is going to be releasing an updated sensor for the X10 and X-S1, which supposedly addresses the issue. The new sensor will apparently be available in May 2012. I'm assuming all new cameras from then on will ship with the new sensor but I'm not sure what will happen for existing owners - whether Fuji will swap out the sensors for them.

I'm pleasantly surprised at Fuji's response to this - very proactive indeed.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/2012/03/12/...-and-fixes

Hard to believe that they will exchange all the existing X10s - but if they did, wouldn't that vault them to the top of the Customer SUpport pyramid?

From all the comments from the article, from those that have been in touch with Fuji support -- apparently they're going to send you a box to ship the camera their service centres, and they'll replace the sensor only. It would totally suck not having your new toy for however many weeks it took for them to replace it, but hey... at least they've acknowledged the problem and are proactively fixing it.

They could have totally swept it under the carpet...

It's pretty impressive that Fujifilm is tackling this logistical nightmare… which just goes to show how significant the support/marketing nightmare must be. If they don't make good on this, then it could sour a lot of enthusiast photographers on the entire brand, which would turn all of their efforts to raise their profile against them.

I'm waiting to see what they do with the existing supply in the retail chain. Do those get recalled to have new sensors put in them? When? Will customers be expected to buy $600 and $800 cameras (the X-S1 is affected too) and then send the cameras in for service if they are affected by its flaws? This is something else that they really need to address.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

(Mar 14, 2012, 21:26)matthew Wrote:  I'm waiting to see what they do with the existing supply in the retail chain. Do those get recalled to have new sensors put in them? When? Will customers be expected to buy $600 and $800 cameras (the X-S1 is affected too) and then send the cameras in for service if they are affected by its flaws? This is something else that they really need to address.

Exactly, especially for those who are waiting in the wings to buy one, like me. I'm going to Fiji in June and would like to pick one up as a travel camera for the trip so I'd like to see more info about how to get the "new" ones. Will you be able to tell whether you're buying one with a new sensor or old sensor? If you buy through say an eBay or online retailer, will there be a high likelihood that they could be offloading their "old" stock on you? Hmmm....

I'm glad that after all the Fuji-bashing they're finally doing something about this. Bad publicity does work Rolleyes So packaging will be sent out the people when the censors arrive at the service centres. Good news all round.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by delb0y
Apr 9, 2017, 04:26