Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Velvia Action

My version of "digital velvia" is available for download here:

Mitch's Velvia Action for Photoshop CS

Note that this will only work in PS-CS, as there is one step that uses a feature not available in prior PS versions.

There are TWO different actions within the set. One simply adjusts colors, the other adjusts colors and adds contrast (more like velvia slide film.)

I created these because I found that most of the velvia actions available on the web are either 1) simple all-over saturation boosts with no regard to velvia's color characteristics, or 2) more complex all-over saturations boosts with some curve adjustment for added contrast.

What I wanted was something more like the real thing, wherein warm colors become warmer and intensely saturated, while cool colors retain their coolness and develop a certain depth. So here is my attempt!

Here is a link to a "before" image.
Minnie's House Before Velvia

Click the "next" link on the upper right hand side of the page to see an "after" version using the low contrast version at 70% opacity. You can toggle between the "previous" and "next" links to see the effect toggled.

From the low contrast page, clicking "next" will take you to the high contrast version, also at 70% opacity, where you can again toggle back and forth.

This may not be the best example for demonstrating the action, but try it on a landscape with lots of reds and greens and I think you'll be pleased.

Not bad at all, Mitch. I like the low contrast version in particular.

The only thing that you may want to play with if you want to truly simulate Velvia is adding Velvia's dark magenta color cast. I think it is that cast that gives cool colors their characteristic look in Velvia that is missing in other transparency films.

Check out this Velvia shot for a good example of the cast:

http://www.shuttertalk.com/forums/viewtopic.php?id=617

Of course, your action may do this already. Your example photo uses very warm colors.

Hey Toad,

Is PS-CS different than PS 7.0? If not, I suppose this action will not work with PS 7.0 then.

Still kinda new to the acronym stuff.

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Toad, I didn't do it to the full extent I probably should have. I will play with it some more; there is always room to improve! And obviously, feel free to edit this any way you like.

Jericho, that's correct, PS-CS is really "PS 8.0" but they changed the nomenclature. This will not work in 7.0, though you might try to fake it: in the action disable the "match color" and "luminance slider" steps, and add a mid-tone curve adjustment instead. The reason I used this new feature is that it will add "luminance" without clipping as much as levels or curves do.

I have to get me a copy of PS-CS then! I'll try the fake first though.

Thanks Mitch!

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

I wonder if they will work in photoshop elements? I've got elements 2.0 installed, and it appears to recognise the files...

shuttertalk Wrote:I wonder if they will work in photoshop elements? I've got elements 2.0 installed, and it appears to recognise the files...

Might work if you do the workaround mentioned above. AFAIK there is no "match color" function in any version other than CS.

If you have the book "Hidden Power of PS Elements" it might be useful for creating alternative versions.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by smarti77
Aug 23, 2006, 08:10
Last Post by EnglishBob
May 12, 2005, 08:36