Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Going Mirrorless but having second thoughts

I've been wanting to switch from DSLR to Mirrorless ILC (Either Sony or Fuji) since last year but I'm a little hesitant. About a year ago, I read there was a bit of a shutter lag and there's not a good selection of lenses. I'd want to shoot beyond 200mm, but last time I checked the longest was around 135mm if I'm not mistaken.

For mirrorless users, does the lag affect your photography in any way? Also, what's the longest telephoto out in the market today.

I'd also like to hear from those who are thinking about going mirrorless or just did. What are/were your hesitations going mirrorless?

-DK

I think for now the only think stopping me from going mirrorless are the infinite number of lenses that will not fit on those body. the shutter lag could be annoying but with practice it can be controled.
About your hesitation about the range, dont forget the crop factor, mirrorless cameras have smaller sensors so your 135mm could actually be a 200 or more!

(Sep 13, 2014, 16:13)Daniel_Champion Wrote:  dont forget the crop factor, mirrorless cameras have smaller sensors so your 135mm could actually be a 200 or more!

Oh yeah! I don't need to give up my DLSR entirely. Only need a versatile option when traveling which I primarily do. Range and quick snaps are important for me. I forgot about the crop factor affecting distance Smile Much thanks, Daniel.

(Sep 13, 2014, 20:43)shuttercloud Wrote:  ...Oh yeah! I don't need to give up my DLSR entirely. Only need a versatile option when traveling which I primarily do. Range and quick snaps are important for me. I forgot about the crop factor affecting distance...

So are you now considering a second system to use in addition to your full-frame Nikon?

For range (assuming you mean magnification), the choice of sensor in the body should be between APS-C and micro 4/3, or even smaller. For quick snaps, the body should have an Auto shooting mode. For traveling, one of my high priorities is weather-sealing of both camera body and lens - I don't want to be worried about e.g. rainfall restricting photography of e.g. places I might never visit again.

Cheers.
Philip

[quote='shuttercloud' pid='96853' dateline='1410593604']
I've been wanting to switch from DSLR to Mirrorless ILC (Either Sony or Fuji) since last year but I'm a little hesitant. About a year ago, I read there was a bit of a shutter lag and there's not a good selection of lenses. I'd want to shoot beyond 200mm, but last time I checked the longest was around 135mm if I'm not mistaken.

For mirrorless users, does the lag affect your photography in any way? Also, what's the longest telephoto out in the market today.

I'd also like to hear from those who are thinking about going mirrorless or just did. What are/were your hesitations going mirrorless?

-DK

I've been using Panasonic MFT cameras for a few years and have had no problem with IQ or shutter lag. The longest lens available for the system is 600mm (equiv.) with big selection down to 12mm.
IDP

[quote='shuttercloud' pid='96853' dateline='1410593604']

I have a SonyA58 that I bought about a year ago,the reason being that I wanted to progress from a bridge camera to an SLR/SLT.so I came to the conclusion if I go to a SLR camera get the latest technology that is with the funds I had and this was the Sony A 58 SLT .Ive had no probs with shutter lag at all and no probs with getting lenses for it ,there are some made by Tamron and sigma that are not in the sony fitting but not many but the ones you can get tend to be more money for the sony not a lot but noticeable.If you intend to use it for its faster shutter speed for sports events F1 events or any very fast action the A58 is good if not very good and it also handles pretty much anything else you through at it-excluding bricks-.Even though it has a plastic body and a plastic lense mount ,it has the latest technology inside and I have had no probs at all, My lense kit is a sony 18-55,tamron 18-250 and a sony 35 prime.hope this helps-andy

(Sep 14, 2014, 03:09)MrB Wrote:  So are you now considering a second system to use in addition to your full-frame Nikon?

...For traveling, one of my high priorities is weather-sealing of both camera body and lens - I don't want to be worried about e.g. rainfall restricting photography of e.g. places I might never visit again.

Thanks Philip. Thinking of second cam but primarily for travel. Leaving the DSLR behind.

Wow, thanks for reminding me about weather-sealing. I'm used to having my old DSLRs drenched in the rain so might have to change old habits.

Cheers
-DK

(Sep 14, 2014, 03:44)craw Wrote:  The longest lens available for the system is 600mm (equiv.) with big selection down to 12mm.

Oh there's a 600 now. Thats better. Thinking of getting a Fuji full frame though so might have to check if they have a long one.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post