Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Going to Europe

Hi Everyone,

As I mentioned before I will be going to Europe for my long service leave. The trip is now less than two weeks away. I was hoping for some tips on places to see if you are familiar with the countries please speak up. Also - happy to try and meet some of you guys if possible. Here is the plan:

7th July - Arrive London (staying with my brother in Sussex).
17th July - Drive to Scotland.
21st July - Fly to Norway (will be staying near Bodo with my wife's sister).
14th of August - Fly to Germany (arriving in Hamburg and staying near Hanover)
19th of August - Train to Stein/Nurenberg to see the Faber-Castell factory and Castle (I work for this company when not shooting weddings).
21st of August - fly from Frankfurt to Perth (home).

Please keep in mind that I will be travelling with my wife and three children (11, 8, and 4).

Thanks in advance for your ideas.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

I am very sad to know that you will be in Germany at the same time I will be in Mexico, it would have been great to meeting you... Sad

Sorry Chris not to give advice about the places you will be in Germany, but I am not familiar with the area.

I wish you and your family the best in this trip Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

In London you can get on an open top bus to ride around the attractions. But there is probably enough there to keep you happy for a month. Scotland... well it depends where you go, but if in the country rather than the towns, most areas are scenic. Drive to Scotland ...mmhh its a long way from London. I guess at around 400 miles London to Glasgow or Edinburgh,(pronounced edin berra ) takes about 7 hours non stop unless there are traffic holdups. (roadworks accidents rush hours) Stick another 4 hours for meals. Big Grin
There are lots of nice photographic sites on the way up, but not on the motorway.
Whatever have a nice trip and drive safely.Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I'm jealous Chris! Tongue
I'm sure you won't have any shortage of amazing photo locations to choose from. I bet your biggest problem will be finding time to fit it all in!

Are you spending any time in London before heading off to Sussex? If so there are a million gazillion things to see, but if you only have a day or two to go exploring then I found the big well-known attractions (Tower of London, Westminster Abbey, Tower Bridge, St Pauls, Tate Modern, London Eye, etc) are all quite close to each other, very accessible by tube, family-friendly, and actually well worth a visit. Sure we've all seen a squillion photos of these places, but I still found it amazing to be standing there amongst it all.

Are you sure you don't need someone to carry your lens bag for you? I know someone... Big Grin

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Great plans!!!

London: your brother will take you around, I assume,
but I looooove the TATE modern, I would not skip it. your kids will have fun there too, the
turbine hall is really exiting, they often have interesting stuff on exhibit there.

at king's cross show them the platform called 13b or something like that... It has to do with Harry Potter,
so if your kids read it, they will know. (I haven't)

Hamburg: there is a small ferry boat comuting from Landungsbruecken to Blankenese, inquire about it in Hamburg,
again, kids should like it.
In the Hafenstadt you also have Europe's largest model train to visit, but I have experienced
several hours of queueing to get in. Hafenstadt is worth a visit anyway.

Nuremberg: I guess you don't have much time. but maybe while you are visiting Faber Castell your familly can
take a trip to Rothenburg ob der Tauber, which is an easy daytrip and worth seeing. A bit touristy I guess, but
terribly German!
Also the German wine route goes through Nuremberg, so make sure you have someone take you out to a good Weinstuben for dinner. Nuremberg is famous for its Wuerstchen, small sausages
on sauerkraut, not to be missed!

If time allows go through Heidelberg on your way to Frankfurt, I will meet you there. It is one of Germany's most famous university towns.

Hey Chris, I'm so jealous too! We did our big Europe trip last year and it was the most memorable trip of a lifetime... we covered mainly western europe though - not very much of Germany apart from Heidelberg and Munich and cruising down the Rhine river.

I'd second the suggestion for the bus tour in London - it was well worth it for us. I think there are 2 companies that do it - the Original Bus Company and something else. They've got a package which gives you a full 24 hours of hop-on hop-off touring (so if you plan it right, you could do a bit more sightseeing the next day), and also a Thames river cruise, and also a meal somewhere (english tea?).

We also attended mass on a Sunday at Westminster Abbey, where Princess Di got married - that was a pretty memorable too...

Travelling with your kids would be so much fun! I'm sure it'll be a very enjoyable and memorable experience for everyone...

shuttertalk Wrote:We did our big Europe trip last year and it was the most memorable trip of a lifetime... .
...of which we never go to see any pictures, did we Wink Wink Wink

english high tea is expensive!!!!!!! five people will easily eat up a couple houndred GBP and still need dinner afterwards...:|

uli

wulinka Wrote:
shuttertalk Wrote:We did our big Europe trip last year and it was the most memorable trip of a lifetime... .
ahahah, you're right... I should start digging up a few to show everyone... Smile

hahaha... you got busted Jules! Big Grin

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

shuttertalk Wrote:
wulinka Wrote:
ahahah, you're right... I should start digging up a few to show everyone... Smile
I hope I can make a go of showing some pictures when I get back :|

Uli - would love to meet up. Will try to fit it in. Thanks for the tips.

Canon stuff.

great, just let me know, I should be here. (I am in Germany now!!)

Uli, welcome back. I hope your travels went well, and that the transition is going smoothly.

Something tells me that you'll never shop for food the same way again.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Haha, probably true, not the SAME way, but who knows where I'll be going next??

Thank you Mat!

I am jetlagged and keep falling asleep on the sofa, but tonight have to keep my eyes open
for the important semi final match Turkey vs. Germany of the ongoing European soccer cup.
It will be very exciting, since so many Turkish people live in Germany and we will all be together watching
it.

This thread is helpful for me too Big Grin
I think I'll be arriving in London on 2nd July Big Grin

Adam: for holidays? Do tell! Big Grin

shuttertalk Wrote:Adam: for holidays? Do tell! Big Grin
Yes! holidays! Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

My dad and sis are over there, and mum spends time there too, so I go there too! Big Grin Just for a little while!

Uli - I have made a mistake in my time table Sad

I will actually be in Germany a week earlier - I arrive on the 8th and leave on the 14th. Does that still fit?

Thanks,

Chris

Canon stuff.

That's amazing Adam that we are almost flying on the same day.

Canon stuff.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by shuttertalk
Apr 5, 2006, 01:15