Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

PcAnywhere or siimilar - and Service Pack 2

My aged father has a new PC and lives a thousand km from me. I have been helping him with PC problems over the phone - but we are severely hampered by his not having the basic terminology (right click, address bar, folder, etc.) I am thinking that PCAnywhere or some such program where I could remotely take control of his PC and move the mouse etc. to illustrate to him what I mean by a term - or worst cae - just do the thing myself - would be a great solution to this problem.

2 questions:

1. PCAnywhere is quite pricy - I have used a few free versions of different programs but can't quite make them work on my 2 PC home setup - the 2 PCs are connected through a Linksys router to a common ADSL internet box. Anybody have any experience with this?

2. What about Windows Service Pack 2? I have had so many problems with the rather excessive security built into it since I installed that I am not sure PCAnywhere or other will work properly.

Any feedback welcomed.

Toad

I removed that service pack as quick as I installed it. It removed my key functions on my notebook. Anyway, I have PC Anywhere but have never used it. I am familiar with remote desktop sharing that windows comes with.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

I use GoToMyPC through hardware firewalls at both ends, NT at the office and XP-SP2 at home through a Netgear router. No problems at all, even after installing SP2. It's very easy to use, in my opinion. I can transfer files back and forth, print remotely or locally, do cartwheels, etc.

We looked at PC Anywhere and chose GoToMyPC instead. I can't remember why, but I'm sure there was a highly detailed reason like "the tech guy at our parent company said it's better."

Cool - thanks for the info I will check out GotoMyPC as well. I looked at it earlier - and didn't pursue it for some reason - no doubt an equally "analytical" reason as yours.

Ah - now I remember the reason - the software is server based and charges a US $20 a month usage fee - too much for what I want to do. Thanks for the advice anyway.

At work we use Remote Desktop that comes with windows -- that works the best. Also VNC although it;s slower and more tedious.

Netmeeting also works and might Be your Best bet as it allows two people to see the same desktop and you can explain as you do stuff. Just might need some tinkering to set up. Good luck! Wink

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by dave
Sep 20, 2004, 05:52