Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Got any one handed photos?

I've taken a few pics with one hand, either hanging on or ready to run. In this case had to wave my black hat with one hand to create panic. A croc farm nearby home for restaurant market. They get pretty scary when excited like a snake in the hen barn.
Plus a couple of tame harmless freshwater crocs thrown in.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow! Thanks for sharing!

Barbara - Life is what you make of it!

Who's Crocodile Dundee standing in photo 5 braver man than me!

Yeah, I don't know why but "tame harmless freshwater crocs" isn't the exact wording I'd choose for what's over there Big Grin I wouldn't go near them in a hazmat suit!

You actually made that pond full of crocs look like a cool texture, made of teeth and scales! Nice job!

I agree with VLAD. You could use that for texture or background for scales or something.

Scary and cool to have it around Smile

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

(May 23, 2013, 10:05)jim truscott Wrote:  I've taken a few pics with one hand, either hanging on or ready to run. In this case had to wave my black hat with one hand to create panic. A croc farm nearby home for restaurant market. They get pretty scary when excited like a snake in the hen barn.

You are "One Brave Person" for standing so close to such dangerous animals. Maybe, "Imprudent" is a better term. While you say that some are "Tame", in my lexicon there is no such thing as a "Tame" non-domestic animal.

Interesting shots anyway. Where was this taken? There is an Alligator Farm in St. Augustine, FL, and no one except staff is allowed anywhere this close to them. Maybe you're part of the Staff? Hmmm.

(May 26, 2013, 02:12)PongoAlpha Wrote:  Who's Crocodile Dundee standing in photo 5 braver man than me!
Photo of the guy who is paid to feed the freshwater crocs. These are fisheaters in the wild but eat chicken in holding yards in the creeks when bred for restaurant trade. Australian aboriginals swim in lagoons with this type of croc without harm But only inland where its known that no salt water crocs are.
You have to be careful as salties can travel miles inland in the dry season to find new waterways. jim t

(May 26, 2013, 03:43)kNox Wrote:  Yeah, I don't know why but "tame harmless freshwater crocs" isn't the exact wording I'd choose for what's over there Big Grin I wouldn't go near them in a hazmat suit!
Maybe tame is wrong word.. freshwater crocs shown with keeper are not a threat and are just interested in chicken lunch.. but others shown all jumping are the saltwater variety and are man eaters. These are quite placid and only became agitated when i waved a rather large black hat. A pretty well known trick to scare the wits out of them. Need to do it when the boss isn't around.
I does upset them. They are all actually terrified and have no idea what they are doing. Nothing to do with attack.
Looks intimidating through a lens though.
A similar thing happens when a barn full of chooks see something resembling a snake. They also go ballistic. I've done that also with a piece of power cord.. got reprimanded... a couple of thousand chooks going off the lay does not go down well... jim t

Haha, it does look like they are aggressive, but I'll take your word that they were just scared. I guess it's all about the area you're used to living in - here in Europe we don't have many crocodiles/alligators so I'm naturally more inclined to keep my distance.

(May 27, 2013, 04:17)Tom G Wrote:  
(May 23, 2013, 10:05)jim truscott Wrote:  I've taken a few pics with one hand, either hanging on or ready to run. In this case had to wave my black hat with one hand to create panic. A croc farm nearby home for restaurant market. They get pretty scary when excited like a snake in the hen barn.

You are "One Brave Person" for standing so close to such dangerous animals. Maybe, "Imprudent" is a better term. While you say that some are "Tame", in my lexicon there is no such thing as a "Tame" non-domestic animal.

Interesting shots anyway. Where was this taken? There is an Alligator Farm in St. Augustine, FL, and no one except staff is allowed anywhere this close to them. Maybe you're part of the Staff? Hmmm.
The ones in florida are alligators and don't grow anywhere as big as australian saltwater crocs. They have a different jaw mechanism. These are in fenced off creeks and some in pools pumped up from the creek.
There is a problem with flooding. Quite a few escape in flooded creeks. Most get re-captured using floating cage pontoon traps. There are others wild in the creeks.
They are protected with large fines if you harm them. I fish at night in my 10' canoe and have never had any problem with them. They pretty much keep to themselves.
Shots taken nearby to where i usually live in cairns australia.. location is croc farm about 25 klm north up the coast at hartleys creek. jim t

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post