Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Great Australian Bight

Should have waited till late in the afternoon but had to keep moving, maybe next time.

[Image: Cliffs-1.jpg]

Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm
not sure about the former.

Albert Einstein

.... still a stunning shot thought Peted............ lovelyCool

FujiFilm Finepix S5600

The cliffs are about 100 metres high at this point, just awe inspiring really.

Albert Einstein

Hey totally stunning, Pete. Something I'd hang on my wall...

The colours are so vibrant and clean! Amazing that you could get such richness especially in the hard midday light.... were you using a polarizer?

phwoar, the colour in the sea and sky are awesome!

Canon 350D with Speedlight 580EX flash
EFS 18-55 f/3.5-5.6 II, EF 90-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM, EF 50mm f/1.8

http://www.inspired-images.com.au

Wow! This looks like the end of the world, like on these olde maps: "There Be Dragons". Is this really such a lonely place as the picture suggests? A view like this in Europe would be plastered with hotels...

Gallery/ Flickr Photo Stream

Reality is for wimps who can't face photoshop.

Peted Wrote:Should have waited till late in the afternoon but had to keep moving, maybe next time.
Don't know why. This is an amazing shot with exrememly rich colour. Awesome shot Pete.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

The colors of the sea are amazing ... Beautiful picture Pete...

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

I had two sessions at trying to take shots along this bit of the coast, firstly about a week before christmas but sadly the temperature was around 45-50 degrees and we could not stay out of the airconditioned car for more than a few minutes, with the radiated heat from the light coloured limestone the heat was painful as there is no shade.

Last weekend we we lucky on the way home as the temperature was a pleasant 35 degrees, still it was around midday so the cliffs were in shadow.

I did play with the shadow/highlight tool in PS but did try to keep it to a minimum, the other problem was that the sea mist was still clearing even this late in the day.

Thanks for everyones great comments. I will try and post a few more shots over the next week or so.

Big Grin

Albert Einstein

Just beautiful Pete...

The colours are extremely vibrant which looks great, but I wonder if perhaps there is a slight reddish cast in there? On my screen at least, some of the blues in the sky and shadows at the bottom of the cliff look a little bit purple. Sorry.. just a minor quibble (possibly related to your monitor, if it isn't calibrated?)

But the scene... breathtaking! <sigh> I love it out there... And you've certainly done it justice. Smile
You make me want to jump in my kombi and just drive... and keep driving...

And G... this really IS as remote as it looks. Here's a map of Australia with the Eyre Highway highlighted in yellow. The Great Australian Bight is basically the patch of coastline that the highway spans.
[Image: EyreHwy.gif]
That stretch of highway highlighted is about 1700km long, and mostly the only civilisation you'll see while travelling it are road houses spread about every 150-200km so you can get food and fuel (and some have a little caravan park out the back).
Many people dismiss it is just a big boring tedious chore to endure driving across it, but I love it! I feel like I'm on another planet! And if you get a chance to camp away from a roadhouse and see the sky out there on a clear moonless night with no other light sources apart from the stars from horizon to horizon.. Its unforgettable. :o

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

Have to agree, I actually played around with this one a bit more than I should have, all the other ones that I have posted recently though are pretty much straight from the camera just resized, bordered and a little sharpenning done, honest.

Here is what the shot should look like, I have lightened it a small amount because the cliffs were in shadow.

[Image: Cliffs-2.jpg]

Albert Einstein

Beautiful job Pete... much better colours (and nicer contrast too!) Smile

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

G'day Pete,
I do like the second one better the first did look a bit purple on my monitor as well.
great shot, a real sense of awe..........Cool

That second shot is much better - really is awesome.

Canon stuff.

I'm planning to go to Aus one day for an extended vacation. I probably would have blown off this remote southern route - but you have convinced me otherwise.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by nia
Mar 29, 2011, 13:03