Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Great Ball of Fire

My daughters are really big softball nuts ( and so are me and my wife Big Grin ) . SO i thought that i would play ( with the help of a few other brave soles LOL ) . I have a couple of shots here that are more for play but would love to see what yall thought .Hope yall like these .

[Image: can%20you%20handle%20the%20heat%20web.jpg]

[Image: smokey%20glove%20web.jpg]

thanks for looking , oh yea did i say this digital thing is fun LOL .......... Shawn

had to play somemore

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

I really like #2 - I would emphasize the sizzle and the smoke just a bit more - and you have a winner.

2 things about #1 that leave me a bit cold. I don't like the font - too dominant in the scene. Also - the flame trail is a very cool idea - but it jigs and jags around a bit too much for a fastball, and the flames don't work if the pitcher is thowing junk to confuse the batter. I think #1 has a lot of potentiall, but I would deemphasize the font some - and also give a more blistering path for the pitch - straight at the glove - otherwise the pitch won't flame...

Really creative work overall though, Drake. You are really improving in your processing skills since you got your DSLR. You are not just "fixing" shots - you are moving on to the next level.

Toad has some great points - really wonderful to see you really experimenting and having fun.

Canon stuff.

Thanks for the input Toad and WS ,

I was thinking about getting #1 put on a shirt for my girls , and prob. a few of there friends ( when they see them LOL ) . Do you think the font should just be smaller or a different color ? not sure what to do with it .
I do see what you mean about the flame . The flame is straight off the camera ( and i liked it as it is LOL ) but i do have to agree with what you are saying though. I guess ill give it another go and see what i can come up with.
I think i have the solution to the " sizzle " on the glove . I know i can get it to " sizzle " more .

P S ... Do you see the face in the flame , and the cross , kinda gave me the heebe geebies .:o:o

thanks again ............ Shawn

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Apologies Drake - I didn't know the baseball was actually on fire - I see the difference now - I thought it was PhotoShopped - my mistake!

Yes - I also see the face and cross.

Toad Wrote:Apologies Drake - I didn't know the baseball was actually on fire - I see the difference now - I thought it was PhotoShopped - my mistake!

Yes - I also see the face and cross.
Sorry to miss lead you ( my wording might be a little off ) . What i ment was the flame and ball are seperate , and its a composite , but i havent done anything to the flame to " create " anything . This is the shape that it was.
I really didnt meant to be missleading.

........ Shawn

# 2 is really nice.

The ligtning is a little bit flat though (imo) and there is no sepparation from the bg. Is the ball really green ? it does look a little odd.

Great Job. And very creative.

Thanx for sharing.

/Paul L.

Strives to make photos instead of taking them...

Yes Paul the balls in fastpitch are yellow/green. The didnt use any kind of background light , prob should have .

Thanks for ther comments ............ Shawn

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by webber
Sep 22, 2019, 12:48
Last Post by delb0y
Jun 30, 2017, 11:13
Last Post by Rolf
Feb 26, 2015, 19:03