Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Guitar Strings

How often do you or should you change guitar strings? Only when they break or does the sound deteriorate as the strings get more 'worn.'

I've had my guitar for about 2.5 yrs and haven't changed the guitar strings yet

Since light travels faster than sound,
people appear bright until you hear them speak.

Heheh sounds a bit like my battery... Big Grin

I normally change them once every two months, or so. I used to keep them on for years (uni days - on a budget). Now I try not to keep them on for too long. Why?

1. I just love the sound of new strings and they're nice to play.

2. When your strings have a lot of corrosion on them, they can leave unsightly marks on your frets and fretboard. The tone is also terrible. No sense having a $1,000 guitar but it sounds terrible cos you won't shell out $15 for new strings... It's not too bad if you play electric though, or have a cheap guitar... Big Grin

You can prolong the life of your strings by wiping them down with a cloth after each time you play. The sweat (salt) from your hands causes them to corrode faster.

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

I change them every holidays Smile
So that's about 3-4 times a year Tongue
I've never broken a string, but I think that if I ever break one, I'd change them all.
I like the feeling of new strings, and when they're new, you can hear all the harmonics ring out.

and oh! I last used my guitar on Sunday, took it out yesterday to find that the strings have gone dark colour and lost their new-ness and even gone a bit rough (rust/oxidation?). So I scratched it off the string and wiped it down.
I must have forgotten to wipe under the strings!

I've read of people really trying to skimp and save by taking off their strings, boiling them, rubbing them down, polishing them, etc...

Any of you tried any of the above? If so, does it work?

God has placed me on earth to accomplish certain things.
Right now, I am so far behind that I will never die.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Oct 19, 2011, 06:26