Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HDR portraits

A collection of HDR portraits here:
http://abduzeedo.com/awesome-hdr-portraits

An interesting comment from the site:
Quote:In the majority of the shots far too much detail resulting in grainy faces, no place for the eye to rest as well as creating distractions from the actual subjects. The only photos on here that really work are the ones which have a simple background. Otherwise they are just too detailed or the amount of detail simply results in too much information and an inability to focus on the subject.

The majority of the images here look over done, force and altered a bit too harshly. HDR is a great tool for getting lots of details in the shadows and in the highlights, but only if used properly, unlike the vast majority of photos posted here.

That is true. Using HDR properly could be a great tool in portraits.

I think this is my only portrait I have worked with HDR technique, and it is one of my most viewed portraits. I posted it here in Oct. 2006.

[Image: DSC_5206-01HDRgirlsmall.jpg]

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

The collection was posted on a blog by abduzeedo and he probably just used Flickr's Search function with "HDR" and "Portrait" as parameters.
No telling how many of the returns he included or omitted without trying it myself, but there was probably something about each one that interested him enough to post them, especially with correct links back to the photographer's page.
I think the quoted comment was a little harsh, but not incorrect to any great degree--not everyone likes HDR, and when it's used in portraits I can see some people getting upset.
Especially if some young person skilled in the 'edgy new looks' is cutting into their business.

The photos fill every category of HDR skills, from clueless first attempts to overdone-using-an-action.
From poorly-edited to expert.
Some who captured magic and either improved it or ruined it in post, or left it alone.
There were plenty of good ones
An interesting range of models with some surprises.

That's an excellent point on the "edgy new look", Keith. I agree: he makes good points yet has thrown the baby out with the bathwater a little. With the flush of many "dramatic techniques" of late(I'd include the rash of stitched mosaics too), I'm sure this has changed demand and challenged supply, such that "overdone" images often ruffle the purist's feathers.
Is this the actual dynamic though? I remember in film/slide when folks overdid the sunset grad..or even, horror of horrors, plonked a really naff starburst or rainbow filter in front of the lens...then the image generated much interest and soon it was a fad or craze. And the ones who adapted quickly got the sales, whereas the ones labouring away with monochrome and "zones" would be in rapt pursuit of their art...and skint. Big Grin

All my stuff is here: www.doverow.com
(Just click on the TOP RIGHT buttons to take you to my Image Galleries or Music Rooms!)
My band TRASHVILLE, in which I'm lead guitarist: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z6mU6qaNx08

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Freeman
Nov 13, 2015, 15:57