Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

HDTV for photographers

JVC has apparently filled a pretty dubious niche - a HDTV for photographers. Main features are more accurate colour representation and the ability to tweak 52 settings for picture quality. Now then how many of us actually view images on our TV?

Quote:The new JVC Xiview LT-42WX70 is a 42-inch class (42.02 inches diagonal) 120Hz 1080p LCD TV monitor that targets digital imaging professionals and enthusiasts using high-end digital SLR cameras, allowing them for the first time to see the subtle colours, details and textures of their images faithfully reproduced.

The monitor features expanded colour space capacity encompassing 100 percent of HDTV broadcasting's (sRGB.904) colour space and a coverage rate of 96 percent for Adobe RGB - a colour space for still photographs taken on high-definition digital SLR cameras - to provide accurate reproduction of both video and still photographs. The LT-42WX70 also features 52 picture-quality adjustment properties for tweaking both still and video images source-by-source to the exact colours and tones the user prefers. In addition, JVC's GENESSA Picture Engine produces video images without blur, colour bleed or noise for clear images with smooth movement.
http://www.gizmodo.com.au/2009/05/jvc_in....html#more

It would be great for meeting rooms, client presentations, perhaps some home theatre buffs (who are content with a 42" screen) and so on. But it's a pretty small niche.

Still, it's another sign that colour accuracy and consistency is becoming important to manufacturers. Hopefully this will eventually filter through to entry-level monitors and TVs.
That's a good thing for photographers (especially those who rely on the internet) because even when we use calibrated monitors ourselves, we have no control over the monitors that clients may be viewing our images on. The more accurate they come out of the factory and the larger the colour gamut available, the better.

Adrian Broughton
My Website: www.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
My Blog: blog.BroughtonPhoto.com.au
You can also visit me on Facebook!
"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler." - Einstein.

I tried some time back to display photos on our Sony HDTV - I spent time poring over the guide tweaking this and that and gave up in frustration - never again. I think that many photographers would like to combine their viewing on TV (and boring their friends with the photos) with using the TV in a normal way. Stupidly enough, I assume that since you can connect you can adjust - but nooo.

We could improve the internet viewing. I use Firefox 3.0 which can be configured to accept ICC profiles (color calibration profiles).

Pavel

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

I think that's an interesting idea; new camera buyers are coming to expect DSLRs to have video, and even cameras that don't have that ability still have HDMI-out ports. I've also seen some monitors that use HDMI as a connection to the CPU. (That term feels so dated now...)

I have a monthly gathering with some photographer friends, and we use either big monitors (thank you, 24" iMac!) or HDTV sets. (Sometimes both.) There's always been problems with accuracy, and lots of "it's not so bright/contrasty/orange/dark on my monitor at home..." This tweakability is something I'd look for now that I know it's an option.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com