Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Nikon Lenses Positioning Map

This is pretty cool - the OTHER camera manufacturer has an interactive widget / map that shows their entire lens lineup on a interactive graph with focal length on one axis, and aperture on the other. Quite a good tool to get an overview of where a particular lens fits in, and also to quickly identify a certain lens for a particular purpose.

You're also able to search on lenses, and also add them to "your lenses" to keep track of those you already own.

http://imaging.nikon.com/products/imagin.../index.htm

Am I alone in believing that any professional or semi-professional class SLR is more than any one us really "needs"? I understand that professional sports or journalistic photographers *need* something more - but that most of us don't need the enhancements?

I may think I need more megapixles (pixel envy), or that I need full frame - but is that not an excuse for lame photography - i.e. "nobody bought that picture because it wouldn't blow up to 2 feet by 4 feet?"

Why don't we just take pictures and see what works? Some of my best stuff was done with sub-4 megapixel cameras or (shudder) film...

[edit] sorry for hijacking your thread - my rant has nothing to do with Canon vs whatever...

Interesting graph, and fun to play with, but there's a hint of evil here: "Drag lenses you already own to My Lenses to display them on the map. Watch your collection grow and keep track of the lenses you still need." (my emphasis.) Apparently I really need a 600 f/4. Big Grin

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Toad - true true. In fact, there's a whole sub-culture of iphone photography that seems to be thriving...

I guess I need to buy iPhone to improve my photos Big Grin

Please see my photos at http://mullerpavel.smugmug.com (fewer, better image quality, not updated lately)
or at http://www.flickr.com/photos/pavel_photophile2008/ (all photos)

Talking about my own experience... in relation to Toad comment...

I don't think I need more of what my 5D gives me... I really don't need anything bigger or faster... but I don't think I will be happy with anything a bit less... specially in action and macro photography... I use prety much everything my camera has, because to be a pro DSLR I consider it very austere...

I was working with a 350 and my lenses for a period of time and my pictures are really beautiful, I think if I post two pictures it would be very difficult to see which picture comes from which camera... but then for bird shooting it is slow and the small viewfinder doesn't help much...

I keep trying my best with the G9 and there are crucial things that limit my work like noise and chromatic aberation... only those two things really hurt the quality of my work... maybe I still need to learn a lot more about noise reduction... and how to cope with CA... so far.... yes I get nice pictures from my G9 but there has to be certain light conditions for me to get what I really like... the thing I love with this camera is to be unintrusive... people don't feel threatened by a small camera ....

But you may ask why I started taking pictures with a G9...

Luminous Ladscape challenged a group of photographers with a series of pictures of the same landscape, one was taken with a G10 and the other one with a Hasselblad... it was a difficult for those experienced photographers to make a difference...

The review is titled You've got to be kidding!

At the end of the day, your photograph (I am thinking about a printed image) will be a success or not by itself, regardless the camera it was taken... I tell to myself... Smile

A work of art which did not begin in emotion is not art.
Paul Cezanne

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post