Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Handling Thread Adapters

Has anyone had the experience with thread adapters (like 49->55 mm adapters for example) which appear to freeze in the threads so you can't remove them. I go into a panic until the eventually unscrew. Anybody have ideas about handling these.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

I sometime have that problem with my polarizer, which is hard to get a grip on, and the occasional UV filter that I use. I can fight them for half an hour without success, and then they ...just come off.

I carry several rubber bands in my camera bags to wrap around my filters when I need the extra grip, which does help with the leverage, but otherwise I haven't found the trick to make them ...just come off.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

I frequently stack up to four filters when shooting infrared.
Never a problem after I learned my lessons:

1) Never tighten beyond a gentle "it's almost tight" feeling of snug.
2) Take them apart at the same temperature as when they were assembled.

When I would put my CP filter on the camera in an air-conditioned house or car, then shoot outside in the Texas heat--Stuck.
Let it sit inside and cool off for an hour--unstuck.

Same thing when I put together filters outside in the heat then bring the camera indoors.
I would have to put the camera in the garage for awhile until the temperatures equalized.

Leaving them slightly loose eliminates all of this for me.
By this I mean tighten the filter to where you usually would, then untwist by a few millimeters.
They still stay where they belong, but no longer fight you.

Thanks for the synoathy Matt. Thanks for the wisdom Keith.

Nikon D3100 with Tokina 28-70mm f3.5, (I like to use a Vivitar .43x aux on the 28-70mm Tokina), Nikkor 10.5 mm fisheye, Quanteray 70-300mm f4.5, ProOptic 500 mm f6.3 mirror lens. http://donschaefferphoto.blogspot.com/

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post