Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help

Hello everyone,

I just conversed with a friend of mine who offered me possibly shoot his wedding in June. He said:

"After reviewing your flickr account yet again, I've decided that I would like to inquire into the possiblity of you taking some pictures at my upcoming wedding. June 2nd is the date, and we are checking with different photographers in the area.

It's my understanding that weddings can be difficult if you're not used to them, but I have every confidence that you would do a marvelous job. Let me know if you're at all interested, alright?"

I've never shot a wedding before (except once, just because I was there). I currently own the Canon EOS Digital Rebel XT, with the kit lens. I've been planning on purchasing the Canon 50mm f/1.8 soon.

If my friend does decide to have me shoot his wedding, what else should I get? Also, any tips on pricing or just generally are needed, much appreciated!

Thanks ahead of time,
Michael

Hi Michael,

You really need to check out their expectations. They may want you to shoot it to save some money.

How confident are you yourself of recording the event? See if you can team up with a friend to help you cover it. If you want to cover a wedding with minimal equipment you really need a fast zoom or a couple of primes and an external flash.

Personally a zoom covering at least a 28-70 range and preferably a 24-70 range will allow you to cover the wedding. An f2.8 constant aperture is what you really need in a church as a minimum. If it is an outdoor wedding you might be ok with your kit lens. Otherwise - just shoot it with your kit and buy the 50 1.8 (if yoour budget is really tight).

Highly reccomend a 580EX or at least a 430EX external flash and a diffuser to help with the harsh shadows. A lot depends on the height of the ceilings in the church/reception as ideally you will want to bounce your flash (if you are allowed to use it in the church).

If the budget will stretch a 70-200 2.8 would be useful for close-ups of the rings and kiss. Don't forget a back-up body.

Best bet is to hire the gear you need and charge your friend the hire fee plus whatever you think is fair for your hourly rate. Keep in mind that a wedding usually entails about 25-30 hours work in total. Do they just want a CD or are you going to photoshop and organise the prints for them?

Organise a simple contract they can sign - I can send you mine if you want but it is by no means something that would stand up in court in the US.

Obviously consider the amount of CF cards you have - whether you will shoot RAW or JPEG (reccomend RAW as an insurance policy).

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.