Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help please with Canon speedlite ST E2 and 430EX ii ?

:|

Hi there. Having trouble/am confused...Just wondered if anyone could help please.

Canon EOS 450D (Rebel XSI), Speedlight 430 EX ii and Wireless transmitter Speedlite ST E2.

Having used my 430 EX ii on the hotshoe of my 450D to great effect using 2nd curtain sync and with the flash on 'auto focal length' (so if my camera is set to say, 50mm, the flash automatically adjusts itself to 50mm zoom etc). I have now purchased the canon wireless transmitter so I can hold the flash unit off to one side to get some better effects.

HOWEVER... 1. I cannot get 2nd curtain sync anymore.
2. The Auto zoom function does not work any longer.

1. No matter what I do with the flash unit I cannot get 2nd curtain sync...I have also tried on the menu on my 450D (under flash control then External flash function) but the only options it will allow me to choose is (a). Flash exposure comp and (b). Evalutive or Average metering. I cannot access shutter sync to set it to 2nd curtain?

So, I cannot get, no matter what I do with flash or camera...2nd curtain sync. I have read both manuals but they don't cover it.

2. Again, using the flash or the camera menus, I cannot make the auto zoom function on the flash work either. It (as the manual says) sets automatically to 24mm ...... which is fine. I can change it manually to increase it with no problem... but surely the ST E2 must transmit that information to allow the flash to 'follow' the lens zoom??? The reason I require this is because I only want to hold the flash to one side so the flash zoom and camera focal length will be the same ... (I understand why this would not work if the flashes were at a distance from the camera).
I don't have time (or enough hands) to 'see the photo opportunity', zoom and focus the camera, zoom the flash to match the focal length, then hope that the photo opportunity is still there .....

I was under the impression that the ST E2 made my flash unit fully wireless, this is why I purchased it, but it appears the two things I need ....It doesn't do??

Sorry to ask a long winded question, but after 4 hours...... I'm finding my head hurts against this brick wall ! :-)

Thank you in anticipation.

I am not sure about the 2nd curtain flash - but the zoom will not work as the flash is now off camera and the zoom would not correspond to the focal length of the lens as the camera has no idea where you have placed the flash off camera. You may know that the flash is inline with the lens - but the camera doesn't.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

Thanks bud.

I posted the same thing on a Canon website and got the answer about the 2nd curtain sync off someone from there...... And guess what? The 2nd curtain sync doesn't work with the ST E2 either !

So much for the fully automatic ST E2. The two things I'd like it to do....It doesn't ! :-(

OK... I'd better buy the OC E3 cord....And sell the ST E2 !

Cheers for taking time to answer dude.

Matt.

Good to hear you found the answers... even if they were not the ones you were after! Big Grin

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post