Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help what lens to buy next??!!

help and advice please i am wanting a new lens to start portraits, i have narrowed it down to a couple first the Nikon 50mm f/1.8G, or Nikon 35mm f1.8 G AF-S DX Lens.... they are priced pritty much the same. or if you have experience or knowledge of any other please advise very confused newby...

Hello and welcome to shuttertalk funkymunky Smile If i were to choose from this two lens you just mentioned I would go for the 50mm f/1.8G. Giving them a more tight perspective which is good for portrait sessions. But that would just be me Smile Enjoy your stay here.

PhotoPlay Photography
What we are is God's gift to us. What we become is our gift to God.
~Eleanor Powell

thanks i was thinking the 50 but wondered if a closer lens for portrait may be better Smile

Certainly not the 35mm, 90/100mm ideal for portraits. Why not consider a Zoom lens, and get it's other benifits. I only use a 18/200 Tamron. Ed.

i was looking at the tamron, but in the end decided on a sigma 70-300mm the blur is so much better than my 55mm and i can get a bit more light in with it just i thought it would be better to get a bit closer to my subjects, and to play with wide angle and fish eye with it... i had considered trading in my 17-55mm for a 35 or 50 but then i loose the short zoom. GGrrrrrr i hate making decisions lol

(Aug 28, 2013, 03:29)funkymunky Wrote:  i was looking at the tamron, but in the end decided on a sigma 70-300mm the blur is so much better than my 55mm and i can get a bit more light in with it just i thought it would be better to get a bit closer to my subjects, and to play with wide angle and fish eye with it... i had considered trading in my 17-55mm for a 35 or 50 but then i loose the short zoom. GGrrrrrr i hate making decisions lol

Most of the pro's use prime (non-zoom) lenses in the 80mm to 105mm range.
The 35 or 50 mm lenses you mention will give you a lot of pincushion/barrel distortion on the faces.

Valley of the Sun, Arizona
D2Xs, D200's, D100's, LightRoom, CS-CC
2HowardsPhoto.biz

thanks peeps i am finding all your advice very helpful.

pincushion/barrel distortion on the faces is that going to be a problem or can i fix or correct it later in PS? i have decided to go for the 50mm, as i dont have £600-£700 for a 80mm + prime lens just yet lol i have my other zoom lens if needed but thought i would enjoy a prime lens as it means i have to move about my subject and just stand and zoom in n out lol.. thanks for your advice on this subject guys Smile

Taken with Tamron 28/200mm (35mm Camera} Lens. Zoom would be about 100/120. Remember, this is a small file. Ed.

Attached Files Image(s)

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by maisie
Oct 6, 2018, 04:55