Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Help with RGB values for high,low mids

RE: Help with RGB values for high,low mids

I asked this question earlier, but was perhaps a bit unspecific in what I was looking for. I recently changed the values in PS CS curves/levels (based opn Scott Kelby's advice) from the defaults, which I forget what they are now to

20 for highlights (r,g,b)
128 for midtones (r,g,b)
240 for highlights (r,g,b)

What I am finding is that these really wash out my picture and give it a look of poor contrast. What are others using for these values??

What are the defaults?

What algorithms do you use? Default is "Enhance per channel contrast"

He suggested "find dark and light colors" and snap neutral midtones" as my new defaults.

Again, what are others using for these values?

I really appreciate your advice.

Jerry

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

When I was using Photoshop more regularly, I found THIS ARTICLE very helpful for optimizing the "auto color" and levels controls.

Kelby's advice for the shadow/highlight settings is for printing, so that your whites are not paper white, and your blacks are not clipped pools of pure black with no detail. My own defaults are set to 10 for shadows and 250 for highlights, and I find these are sufficient for getting good contrast while retaining detail at the extremes.

If you use Kelby's numbers, you might also consider applying an S-curve to boost contrast in the midtones. Or you can use high-radius sharpening, sometimes called "local contrast enhancement," to achieve something similar: set USM to 20 amount, 50 radius, 0 threshold and see how that works for you.

Thanks Mitch,

I will give that article a run through. I ended up changing my values to 5, 128, 249 and feel this is working for me for the moment.

Kelby's numbers DEFINITELY require an s mid curve because they have a terribly poor contrast look to them.

I have been using the usm settings you referred to for contrast work and have been generally pleased with the results. I have a dozen or so usm settings I like to use for different things.

Thanks again. I'll give 10 a try on the highlights and see what that does.

Jerry.

After a very quick perusal of the article, I strongly suggest everyone read it. If you have an interest in proper color correction, read this article! Its that good.... and its step by step approach is foolproof (no offence Rufus... Big Grin )

http://www.creativepro.com/story/feature/17164-3.html

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post