Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hippo Birdie

Happy Birthday to me Big Grin I is 37 years old today.

Things that also happened today.

1777 - During the American Revolutionary War, the Battle of Bennington took place. New England's minutemen routed the British regulars.

1812 - Detroit fell to Indian and British troops in the War of 1812.

1829 - The "Siamese twins," Chang and Eng Bunker, arrived in Boston, MA. They had come to the Western world to be exhibited. They were 18 years old and joined at the waist.

1858 - A telegraphed message from Britain's Queen Victoria to U.S. President Buchanan was transmitted over the recently laid trans-Atlantic cable.

1861 - U.S. President Lincoln prohibited the Union states from trading with the states of the Confederacy.

1906 - 1,500 people died in an earthquake in Valparaiso, Chile.

1920 - The only fatality to occur in a major league baseball history happened. Ray Chapman (Cleveland Indians) was hit in the head with a fastball from Carl Mays of the New York Yankees.

1923 - Carnegie Steel Corporation put into place the eight-hour workday for its employees.

1930 - The first British Empire Games were held at Hamilton, Ontario, Canada. The event is now called the British Commonwealth Games.

1937 - Harvard University became the first school to have graduate courses in traffic engineering and administration.

1948 - Babe Ruth died at the age of 53.

1954 - Sports Illustrated was published for the first time. It was claimed that 250,000 subscriptions had been sold before the first issue came off of the presses.

1954 - Jack Paar replaced Walter Cronkite as host of "The Morning Show" on CBS-TV.

1960 - Cyprus was granted independence by Britain.

1960 - The free-fall world record was set by Joseph Kittinger. He fell more than 16 miles (about 84,000 feet) before opening his parachute over New Mexico.

1978 - Xerox was fined for excluding Smith-Corona Mfg. from the copier market. The fine was $25.6 million.

1984 - John DeLorean was acquitted on eight counts of a $24 million dollar cocaine conspiracy indictment.

1984 - The U.S. Jaycees voted to admit women to full membership in the organization.

1987 - 156 people were killed when Northwest Airlines Flight 255 crashed. The only survivor was four-year old Cecelia Cichan.

1993 - Harvey Weinstein was rescued from a 14-foot-deep pit by New York Police. He had been there for nearly two weeks while being held for ransom.

1995 - Voters in Bermuda rejected independence from Great Britain.

1999 - In Russia, Vladimir V. Putin was confirmed as prime minister by the lower house of parliament.

Alastair says "Visit My Blog?"

Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to alastair,
Happy birthday to you!!

Three cheers! Big Grin

shuttertalk Wrote:Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to you,
Happy birthday to alastair,
Happy birthday to you!!

Three cheers! Big Grin
Thanks Big Grin

Alastair says "Visit My Blog?"

Happy Birthday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 37 ? Wait till you get to 40. You get a whole sheep. Big Grin
Happy birthday.
I wonder why we call it a birthday as it is an anniversary of it. :/

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Happy Birthday - thanks for the history lesson. Amazing what an eventful day it was.

Canon stuff.