Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Histograms

Ok here is another one of my " stupid " questions about digital. What is the histogam telling me ? and how do i read it LOL . I have an idea about what it does but i dont know how to read it . Is there any easy explaination ? or do i just need to do some reaserch ?

Thanks ......... Shawn

Canon 20d and a few cheap lenses ..

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

g'day BD, best thing is to do some research i think.........HEREis a link to get you started.......

Wink

thanks Russt ,

i am there reading right now . :o

........ Shawn

Ok im back from reading and i have to say now i know what i am looking at . Thanks soooo much for the link . It explains so much and in terms that i can understand LOL .

........... Shawn ( again )

It is our job as photographers to show people what they saw but didnt realize they saw it ......

Expose to the right Shawn - without going right to the edge. That is probably the simplest thing to remember with a histogram.

Cheers,

Chris

Canon stuff.

I never use them, Drake - although when I look at the "captured" histograms, my best shots are always exposed to the right as WS says.

Thanks W S and Toad. '

I was looking through some of my shots histograms and i can see some of the things better now ( if that makes any sence ) .

............ Shawn

Wedding Shooter Wrote:Expose to the right Shawn - without going right to the edge. That is probably the simplest thing to remember with a histogram.
+1

How many use histograms regularly?

(a) with every shot, baby
(b) occasionally - maybe 1 in 10
© histo-what?

"'A'-and-a-half".

I'll shoot a couple of frames and check until I'm happy, and then I never look at it again.

Generally my meter is a little conservative, and I shoot in raw+jpeg, so I don't worry too much about highlights until I start thinking that a scene is +/- 1EV. Anything less and I just wing it. I will also check if I think that I'm in marginal light for my chosen shutter or aperture value, simply because I never actually think to look at the info display in the viewfinder.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

In sunlight my camera meters really well, so I hardly ever look atthe histogram.
At night I check it a lot, and chimp heavily, too.

I will check it quite regularly at a wedding - other times not very much.

Canon stuff.

Some where between b and c. Big Grin But I know what they mean, more or less.
The panny was good, because you could view it through the eye piece. Not so with the Canon.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.