Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Hockey's Back! Whoo!

Totally off topic, but I'm excited!

Finally, a Deal
NHL, players' association reach new labor agreement

Posted: Wednesday July 13, 2005 11:21AM; Updated: Wednesday July 13, 2005 12:56PM

NEW YORK (AP) -- The NHL and the players' association reached an agreement in principle Wednesday on a new labor deal, ending a lockout that wiped out last season.

The sides met for 24 hours starting Tuesday afternoon to hammer out the collective bargaining agreement that will return the NHL to the ice. In February, commissioner Gary Bettman canceled the season, making the NHL the first North American sports league to lose a year because of a labor dispute.

Both sides still need to ratify the deal, which is expected to contain a salary cap. That process is expected to be completed next week, the league and the union said in a joint news release.

It took all night and then some for the final round of negotiations to produce an agreement.

The sides met for 10 straight days in New York, and it became clear Wednesday morning -- the 301st day of the lockout -- that they weren't going to leave the room without an agreement in hand.

The expected salary cap will likely have a ceiling approaching $40 million and a minimum somewhere between $20 million and $25 million.

Player salaries will not exceed 54 percent of league-wide revenues.

Some players in recent days have voiced their displeasure over what will be included in the new agreement.

NHL commissioner Gary Bettman warned in February when he canceled the season that the offers the union passed up were better than any it would see once a year of hockey was lost.

Just days before the season was wiped out, the players' association said for the first time it would accept a salary cap if the league dropped its desire to link player costs to revenues.

Copyright 2005 Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.

*Rant beginning*

I am aTHE quintessential hockey fan... and supported the owners 100% in this crazy battle.

Glad to see if over and done with for the moment. Let's just see if they can repair the damages.

Million dollar baby's! ALL of them.

*Rant end*

Nos an modica tantum nostri somnium
"We are limited only by our imagination"

Yippy! :| Maybe I'll get excited in a couple seasons when the media stops talking about it. The Lockout might be over but the babble will continue throughout the season.

Sit, stay, ok, hold it! Awww, no drooling! :O
My flickr images

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by NT73
Oct 2, 2012, 05:19
Last Post by NT73
May 6, 2012, 03:37