Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How Often Do You Upgrade?

With the rate of technology advances these days, your purchase is usually outdated as soon as it leaves the store. How often then does everyone upgrade their gear? Every six months? Couple of years?

I bought a Canon Powershot G1 in March 2001. It has and still serves me well, I find I tend to use it when I need something quick and simple (like at a friend's wedding when I'm not getting paid). It is 3.3 mega, so I can still print a 5 x 7 with it and that's most of what I would do for family etc. And it still works after being in a bag full of water for 2 days.. you got to admire durability.

I moved to a 6 mp D70 this March, so I guess that makes it 3 years. Really, I would only upgrade if what you were originally doing with the camera changes. For me I wanted to make my pictures larger and have more ability to take different types of shots, so I went SLR. I can't see me upgrading unless 20 megapixel becomes cheap and I need it to make wall murals. Otherwise 6 will get me by for most of what I'm gonna do with it.

Anyone who upgrades for the 'jones' factor (trademark Studio J sometime recently) is kidding themselves or has not sent me enough money recently.

That's my two cents (would be more if people sent me this money I speak of).

Camera: Nikon D70
Level: Eager Amateur
Area of speciality: Sceneries
Area of Learning: Portraiture

I've actually stopped in my pursuit for the "bigger picture" after starting to do my own prints now in a biggish format I'm quite content to stay where I am (which will be 8mp as of this weekend thank you Mr Jones!)

I can limit the size of images clients request (I've only ever had two requests for images that big anyway)

Gear and lenses is likely to stay like it is for a couple of years now with only a few minor additions, the rest is going into the studio and that side of things.

Started out similarly to gd with a G2.

All I need to do now is sort out the computer, editing images that are that size is slowing things down (Athlon XP 2000, 512mb 2700 DDR, GF3, 3 x 80g RAID). Amazingly I haven't touched my computer for an upgrade except for a DVD Burner in a couple of years.

I started with my dad's 2mp Nikon 2100 in late December last year.

Since then I moved up to the 8mp Sony F828 which I share with my now-fiancee. In a couple weeks I'll have my beautiful, beautiful digital SLR; the Nikon D70.

So how often? I'm not sure I can really answer that. I've only really been doing photography for about 11 months, during which time I've 'upgraded' twice. Smile I plan on sticking with the D70 for a while though. Unless of course I manage to set up a dark room in our apartment. hehe. Big Grin

the d-70 is wuvwey... I've added my speedlight to it and am much happier now... lenses from now on will form the big expense... *sigh*.. not until someone pays me money... I'm sure I can charge right now, can't I?

Oh boy. The lenses. I heard that the telephoto lens I want for my D70 costs just as much as the camera itself. It'll have to wait for a while. Sad

Are you happy with the speedlight?

gd Wrote:lenses from now on will form the big expense...

I thought they were considered "investments"? Big Grin

I haven't used it in anger yet but I like a few of the features. Unfortunately (I think) to take advantage of the infra red firing (so that I don't have a front on flash) I have to buy another flash (as I don't think there's an add-on to turn the built-in flash into an infra-red device)...

but yeah the flash is nice.. and lenses I know.. I bought a 70-300 and I like it.. but now I want to make it better... oh dear... I'm stuck in this camera thing for life aren't I?

ST, they're not like Ostrich Farms (which I'm still assured are AWESOME buys), they're like cars ... and cars are only investments if you're selling em Smile

gd Wrote:oh dear... I'm stuck in this camera thing for life aren't I?
If you're just realising that now then you're in for a ride. You and your wallet both. Wink heh. Photography is one of those habits that turns into a compulsive obsession.

started out with a canon a70, upgraded to a konica-minolta a2 slightly more than a year after that. next step up would be a dslr, but since i'm not looking forward to the size/weight/expense, i'm hoping not to buy any new cameras for the next few years. maybe just a flash unit and a wide-angle converter...

but at the rate the technology is advancing, it'll be hard not to find an excuse to splurge again. i'm dreading the announcement of an a2 replacement with a better sensor/useable high iso, full swivel lcd, bigger buffer/better burst mode and built in 18mm equivalent... aaaaahhhhhh....

gd Wrote:oh dear... I'm stuck in this camera thing for life aren't I?

heh as smelly said it can become an obsession, put it this way, since I started my gear cost is now more than I paid for my car in 2/3 the time.

Its getting to be fun stuff now though, I'm buying backgrounds, outfits, shoes, chairs, blankets all kinds of groovy stuff and it is all a tax write off Smile

*perk* tax write off? Smile

how do I get this "write off" of which you speak. I'm all for write-offs.. they're my favourite type of off.

Seriously speaking though, I agree, I won't be buying much more "gear" until I am in a position for my company to buy it, as you say... it's an obsessive thing.. and backgrounds and stuff sound fantastic... I need to get to perth Smile

Form your own business, list your camera gear as your tools, write it off over a couple of years. Just see your accountant, its not hard to do.

I don't know about Aussie rules taxation, but up here, if you business isn't profitable after 5 year, you have to pay it all back... basically, you can't write off a hobby as a business.

(Not that I think this applies to you, J, I just thought I'd mention it before someone thinks, hey! gov't subsidized hobby!)

<><
Camera: Panasonic Lumix FZ10
Image Management/Editing:ArcSoft PhotoBase4
Advanced Image Editing: Adobe PhotoShop 7

omg! pay it back.... ewwwwwww... and I used to love canada...

ok.. I still do, I'll just do my tax havens somewhere else.

The same rule probably applies here in some respect. I think you actually have to sell your services and show income for you to get any tax return on the income you've generated.

Its not quite the same here but the laws have changed in the last few years, you can only write off a certain amount against your personal income and it has to be less than 2:1 on the tax you pay on your business.

So for example pay $4,000 in tax through your business and you can claim upto $8,000 from your personal income. Given that my (most peoples) personal income tax is a lot higher than in the business it offsets quite nicely.

I want to say this quietly so that I don't offend anyone.. but J, you're fast becoming my personal hero. Smile

lol why on earth is that GD?

Don't go giving me a big head its already fat enough as it is Tongue

Cailean Wrote:I don't know about Aussie rules taxation, but up here, if you business isn't profitable after 5 year, you have to pay it all back... basically, you can't write off a hobby as a business.

Wow... I was doing my own tax recently, and over here they have guidelines more than rules:

Quote:Hobby or business?

It is important to determine whether you are carrying on a business or pursuing a hobby, sport or recreational activity that does not produce income.
In general, you are considered to have a business if the activity:

· has actually commenced
· has a significant commercial purpose or character
· has a purpose of profit as well as a prospect of profit
· is carried out in a manner that is characteristic of the industry
· is repeated, regular or continuous
· cannot be more accurately described as a hobby, recreation or sporting activity.

© Australian Taxation Office 2004

But I don't know whether they check on you after 5 years though... that would be pretty bad. Smile

I bought a Kodak DC200+ (1 MP) in Late 98, used that until December 2002
December 2002 I bought a Fuji Finepix 3800, Gave the DC200+ to my sister in-law, still working today!
January 2004 I bought a Kodak CX6200 as a pocket camera and for use at work.
September 2004 I sold the Fuji and splurged on a Digital Rebel and a couple of lenses.

So I guess my first Camera lasted 4 years and was greatly surpassed in that time, then the Fuji lasted me 21 months. The 2nd Kodak isn't good but is okay for snapshots and work (I take pictures of cars to put on my companies website .3 mp). The rebel I can't see me needing to replace until 14MP cameras are under $800.

Hey EnglishBob... welcome to Shuttertalk! Interesting... I suppose with consumer digicams, because they're comparatively cheap, we can afford to use them till they break. By that time, it probably was begging for an upgrade anyway...

The 1st Kodak was still in pretty good shape.. if you include the cardboard and super glue holding the battery compartment in place Tongue

well, instead of upgrading, i find myself 'degrading'. been purchasing older tech cameras and having too much fun shooting with them.

i still have my pentax p30T which i got in '94, upgraded to a nikon F801 in 2002, so i guess it's been 8 years for an upgrade.

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

G'day patch17! Welcome to Shuttertalk! You're from Perth too, eh? There are a few from the west in these forums! Smile

That's interesting regarding the "degrading". I had a stint with old rangefinder cameras - got myself a Konica C1 which produced brilliant photos... also got a couple of Canonets.

Feel free to make yourself at home around here... if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask. Big Grin

thanks for the warm welcome!

i just love the feel and sound of the old stuff. but people sometimes give me weird looks when they see me walking around with a TLR or range finder hanging around my neck.

It's amazing what old junk can do.
The toys

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by shuttertalk
Feb 3, 2009, 17:16