Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

How can I be a nightclub photographer?

I don't have any experience as a photographer, but photography has been great passion of mine.
Can anybody please suggest me what I need to do in order to become a night club photographer?

Do you want to do it for fun or for money. Either way, start with practicing with friends and see what the results look like.
We possibly need a little more information about your kit as well. Smile

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

I like to do it for my new career. It will have to start from choosing the right professional camera. Any suggestion? I will be taking classes for photography next year but I like to assist or be an intern as I begin my study to get more hands on Smile

There is so many answers depending on so many factors kira. It is a bit like asking how long is a piece of string.
I do not know what a night club photographer is, unless it is someone who takes peoples photo's when dancing etc., and sells them on.
Maybe you could be an assistant to start with by holding the lights etc and do a little watching first.

My choice would be a Canon or Nikon camera but as for lenses and accessories, it would depend on how much you are prepared to spend. A night club in the dark would possible suggest fast lenses i.e. ones with a large aperture.
Maybe a good photographic book to start with before you spend unwisely.

Lumix LX5.
Canon 350 D.+ 18-55 Kit lens + Tamron 70-300 macro. + Canon 50mm f1.8 + Manfrotto tripod, in bag.

Whether you are taking photos of dancers or performers in a club, your biggest enemy will be low-light. Using a flash is pretty much verboten any where where people perform - so you will need a camera that has excellent low light (high-ISO) performance - such as a Nikon D700 or Canon 5D. These are quite expensive cameras, so as NT73 suggests, you may want to work with an established club photographer to learn the trade before making a significant investment in hardware. You should also read up on the legalities surrounding release forms - such as when you need 'em and when you don't.

Good luck with your endeavor. I look forward to seeing some of your work one day.

kira Wrote:I like to do it for my new career. It will have to start from choosing the right professional camera. Any suggestion?
If possible, choose a camera that's a lawyer or a doctor by profession. Lawyer-cameras have better hours, but doctor-cameras can make more money. Teacher-cameras get good vacation time, while accountant-cameras are unusually reliable. You might also want to consider a librarian-camera, since they make storing and retrieving images much easier.

Sadly, there's no such thing as a professional camera. There are simply cameras that people use.

For most of the 'nightclub' photography I've seen, any SLR from Canon or Nikon that's on the store shelves will be fine. It will be very important that you have a good flash of the same brand as the camera - and with that, you can get by with a fairly basic lens. I would suggest a starting budget of about $1200-1700US, so think carefully about the investment that you'll be making and its realistic potential to earn you an income. Most photographers would be better off financially from selling their camera gear, investing the cash in a used car, and delivering pizzas for a living. Those that surpass that level of success are invariably extremely talented, extremely lucky, or very good at business.

kira Wrote:I will be taking classes for photography next year but I like to assist or be an intern as I begin my study to get more hands on Smile
It's important to do what you love and are interested in. So if you enjoy spending time in nightclubs without being able to drink, dance, or hang out with friends, then you're already off to a great start. A natural passion will be more important to you than advanced techniques; straightforward flash photography ("P" mode, second-curtain sync, -1EV) is relatively easy to master.

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

Thank you so much for your advices!
I am looking into Canon in price range of 800 to 1000 to begin and eventually I can get nicer one.

I do enjoy spending time in nightclubs and guess what? I do not drink at all so this will be perfect working environment for me!

matthew Wrote:If possible, choose a camera that's a lawyer or a doctor by profession. Lawyer-cameras have better hours, but doctor-cameras can make more money. Teacher-cameras get good vacation time, while accountant-cameras are unusually reliable. You might also want to consider a librarian-camera, since they make storing and retrieving images much easier.
Chuckle! ( I can't find the tongue in cheek smiley)

Lumix LX5.

Kira, a budget of $800-1000 won't get you much of a camera after you've spent half of it on a proper flash, and a lens that's good enough to avoid needing a flash will leave you with the same deficit. Perhaps a G12 with a 430EXII, or LX5 with a FL36? I'd take either over a T2i+18-55 lens, which is where you're heading.

NT, sometimes I need to give the answers that I normally just think to the questions that I get asked every day when I'm at work… Cool

matthewpiers.com • @matthewpiers | robertsonphoto.blogspot.com | @thewsreviews • thewsreviews.com

For a $1000 budget I would go with second hand equipment. Look around for used equipment people are trying to offload, usually people who are upgrading to better gear.

Any of the rebels with a kit lens will be fine, the most important part will be the flash.

A canon T1i can be picked up for around $500 used. Usually when people sell second hand they'll throw in accessories too, like memory cards lends hood, filter and such.

For a flash pick up a 430exII for around $300

Then with the remaining budget, get the best lens you can afford! I recommend a kit zoom (unless you got it with the body), people are always trying to sell them for cheap, i.e. a canon 18-55mm, and you might be able to buy one "new" second hand for less than a hundred bucks.

If you do alot of night club work, I also recommend a hand strap! It beats the neck strap by a million miles, and makes you look less touristy.

Cheers~

A site about photographic arts and techniques
http://photo.jchoi.ca

I was looking into Canon XSi refurbished one. it runs for about $500.
What is major difference(s) between XSi and Ti2? Some people say Ti2 is newer version of XSi but it has been improved only in video quality and nothing significant in photo quality.

James, welcome to shuttertalk! It's great to have your contribution to these threads, and I hope you'll hang around in the community some more.

Excellent advice regarding the hand strap and in looking for used equipment.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post