Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average

Best photo tip you've ever received

When I was starting out, my friend told me to just set your camera to Aperture priority and always set it to the smallest f number and you will get the right amount of light. My lens only had f/4 maximum aperture at that time. I didn't understand it at first but my shots were suddenly better.

What's the best photo tip you've ever received?

Strange one to me! assume you used F4, if so, see no logic to it. Still, if it worked for you, that's it. Ed.

To each his own!

I still think sunny 16 is the best aid you need to start. it feels great and ables you to use manual mode right away.

(Sep 26, 2014, 02:10)EdMak Wrote:  Strange one to me! assume you used F4, if so, see no logic to it. Still, if it worked for you, that's it. Ed.

When you're on Aperture priority, and use the widest all the time, you're most likely assured of the fastest shutter speed given the any luminance. This is assuming I'm not after long exposures.

Still a tip I would not pass on. Ed,

To each his own!

(Sep 26, 2014, 10:05)shuttercloud Wrote:  When you're on Aperture priority, and use the widest all the time, you're most likely assured of the fastest shutter speed given the any luminance. This is assuming I'm not after long exposures.

Although a shutter speed fast enough to avoid the softening effect of camera shake is important, for me the purpose of Aperture Priority Mode is the control of depth of field. With a modern camera and lens, the combination of their image stabilisation and higher ISO capabilities usually enable much greater than adequate shutter speeds, even when using quite small apertures to maximise depth of field.

Cheers.
Philip

Learn about diffraction and then you will know this tip could be the worst one you received,

(Sep 29, 2014, 11:04)Conti Wrote:  Learn about diffraction and then you will know this tip could be the worst one you received,

Is there a misunderstanding here? Shuttercloud's tip was to use the smallest f number which means the biggest aperture. But diffraction affects the biggest f numbers which represent the smallest apertures.

Cheers.
Philip

No problem if you found it useless. Yes I know A mode is for DOF control. I was referring to a tip given to me while I was starting out. Of course I do things differntly now. I found it valuable when I was a beginner, a time when I was just getting off auto. For a newbie back then it was very helpful. To each his own. Smile

The best tip I can think of other than Sunny 16 is that the shutter speed should always be inverse to the focal length when shooting hand held....unless you really like motion blur. So, 50mm lens...1/50th of a sec should be the slowest shutter speed. 200mm lens...1/200th of a sec.

Possibly Related Threads…
Thread / Author Replies Views Last Post
Last Post by Barbara G.
Aug 3, 2020, 06:59